Book Club

avintagegirl

avintagegirl

Hello all,

I am the facilitator of a book club. I have been since Aug 2015 when two other gals and I met up to talk about books. Since then the club has grown and I feel like we have 4 solid members and a few extra who come when they can.

We have in the past moved book club days when one of the three original people couldn't make it- or moved to a later time. That was back when if I didn't I'd have two who people showed up, and if only one person read the book ,well, discussion ended fast.

Last month at book club we pushed back the time 30 min to accommodate what I call a "founding member". I didn't think it was too big of a deal and as I said we have rescheduled before - especially if folks needed more time to read.

We meet on the third Thursday of every month. This month a gal who has never been able to make it before can now come - I think the time change helped. I hate to move the day to accommodate one person when four other people have said they can make it.

I hate to not be accommodating to someone who has been there from the beginning and has really been a strong supporter and who generally reads the book. (the other founding member not so much -i found out the last time she didn't read by seeing her instagram hashtag 10 min before book club).

What are your thoughts? Should I work with the conflict? Should I contact the newbie member to see what works for her and the gal with the conflict? I need some outside perspective.

I also want to mention that the reason this gal can't come is because last spring she bought her husband tickets to a concert for his birthday. Her plans can't really be changed around.

Thoughts?

Sounds like because of concert tickets it is a one-time thing.

I wouldn't change the time. You have set it and most people can make at that time.

Consistency is the key to success in these types of groups. The more you change things to accommodate this person or that person, the better chance you have on it ultimately imploding into non-existence.