Almost glad we're not friends

sickoflove11

sickoflove11

Alright so this is going to be a long rant.. sorry

This girl I met at work about a year ago became my friend after she kind of invited herself to a concert with my other friend and I. We started hanging out more after that and became closer. I don't really have any girlfriends in the area I live in so she was good company.

After awhile I just started to see some things in her that I didn't really like. She's immature, irresponsible, talks bad about people and then acts like their bff, very into herself almost narcissistic, and is just hard to communicate with for the most part. I decided to not consider her a true friend and just hang out with her occasionally so we could still be friendly at work and not cause problems. She also got her first real bf recently so she spends all her time with him which is fine by me, but she expects me to come to her. Anytime I call her she's with him or we all have to hang out so I stopped bothering.

I am her supervisor at work so sometimes I have to tell her what to do. It has been fine for 5 months but the other day she started doing things without me asking. I told her I appreciated the initiative but I had other plans. She got an attitude with me so I asked if something was wrong if she's not feeling well and maybe wanted to go home. She just kept denying anything was wrong or that she was rolling her eyes and giving me attitude (while giving me attitude). I told her I didn't want her to be there if she is going to disrespect me and she even said she wanted to leave so I sent her home.

Today I acted like it was a new day but she ignored and avoided me every time I passed by her. She won't talk, she just makes sounds like "mhmm". Tonight I noticed she's deleted me on social media which is a bit dramatic but if this is how she wants to end our friendship without a conversation then ok..

She usually avoids situations and waits until they cool down and then acts like nothing ever happened. She never apologizes for anything or admits wrong.

She is also getting into trouble at work. She didn't show up for a shift and now the manager knows about her attitude problem. I feel like something must be going on but she wouldn't say or she may not even realize how she's acting recently.

Basically I am just concerned about work. We have all the same mutual friends so she's not going to want me to be invited places, plus she's going to make work so awkward by ignoring and avoiding me. Her bf and I were the main people she hung out with so I'm sure she's going to try and hang out with other work people now since she got to the point of deleting me on social media, but still has to see me in real life.

whichwayisup

You are her supervisor and her being pissy with you at work is unacceptable and unprofessional. Just tell her you two don't have to be friends but during work hours she has to respect you and not roll her eyes, cop an attitude and be rude.

As for the social part of it, who cares. Good riddance! She was never a real friend to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Author
sickoflove11
You are her supervisor and her being pissy with you at work is unacceptable and unprofessional. Just tell her you two don't have to be friends but during work hours she has to respect you and not roll her eyes, cop an attitude and be rude.

As for the social part of it, who cares. Good riddance! She was never a real friend to begin with.

Thank you, you're right and I totally agree!

But for example, last night a mutual friend group texted the two of us to hang out tonight, and I had to message him individually and tell him her and I aren't friends/friendly right now... This sucks because I want to hang out with him but I think the two of them are a little closer. I just hope she doesn't try to stop my friends from hanging out with me. I know that is a childish thing to do but clearly... she is.

As far as what to say to her manager or anyone else who notices the situation, be honest and say, Well, she and her BF and I have become friends, and lately she's been expecting that to mean she gets to do whatever she wants at work, so I'm having to take a step back from being friends and do my job, and she's not happy about it.

To her, you just start being only professional and make it clear she's getting no special treatment and that any she got in the past is over.