Friend mad at me because I won't post bail!

Help! My best friend from hs is in jail. She called me this morning wanting me to bail her out. Her bail is a large one because it's a 2nd DUI offence. She will be in there until her court date or until she's bailed out. I do not have the money to put up for bail. So she asked if I would put up something for collateral. She has no family in our town. I'm afraid she will skip town on me. Now she's said I wasn't a "true" friend because I wouldn't help her out in her time of need. She said she was in H*** and depressed. Hello! Am I wrong here? Should I bail her out? Should I feel bad? Am I just a horrible friend?

Thanks!

No, I don't think you're a horrible friend. Get the key to her place, sell *her* sh*t and try to raise money to get her out.

I don't think she is a very good friend if she is trying to guilt you into this. She expects you to lay your assets on the line, when she has no real ties to the area? You better believe she will skip on you.

She has brought this on herself by driving while drunk therefore it's up to her to take responsibility, including doing the time if she can't afford bail. Being an enabler is not being a friend. Tell her you're very sorry but you can't do it. And if she drops you, no loss.

Hell no you shouldn't bail her out.

You should feel good because she's getting a civics lesson in freedom and personal responsibility.

You are her best friend and being a best friend isn't always easy--sometimes you have to do the right thing. Others might be weak and bail her out. You are helping her to learn not to drive under the influence. You may actually be saving her own or someone else's life if she uses this experience to stop the DUI sh*t.

Guest?

That maybe the root of all her problems, People bailing her out!"

Let her stew in jail maybe she will think twice about subjecting herself and others to her drving DUI!

Originally posted by Devildog

I don't think she is a very good friend if she is trying to guilt you into this. She expects you to lay your assets on the line, when she has no real ties to the area? You better believe she will skip on you.

I so agree with this! I would NOT bail her out....this (as you said) isn't the FIRST offense...she didn't learn her lesson then, she did it again........now she's trying to make you feel bad enough to help her. Offer to call her family and see if they'll get the money to you so you can bail her out, if not then (if I were you) I'd be like "sorry there is nothing else I can do.

She isn't a true friend or a very smart person, I can imagine she'll skip out cuz w/ no ties to your town and owing someone money (for bail) and fear of jail time would probably send her running! DON'T do it!!!

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about it today. I think there was so much going on yesterday when she called I just felt really badly. She's just desperate to get out. Maybe if she stays a few days she will learn and not do it again. Unfortunately with it being a second offence she will probably serve some time.

Thanks!