How do you "break up" with a friend without burning bridges?

nadine5

I admittedly don't have many friends. I had a very long term boyfriend, and when we broke up a year ago, I rekindled a friendship with one of my friends from high school.

It's been about a year into the friendship and I realize that she and I are not compatible, and I remember now why I didn't continue the friendship from high school in the first place.

She is annoying, she is immature, she is always negative, she is boy-crazy (I thought I was, but there is no comparison), and she latches onto me like a mother latches onto a young daughter.

This morning was probably the last straw. I work at a lending company and we had a very long meeting this morning at 9. From about 9-11 every day I usually have some busy work to do so I can text during this time. Today she texted me while I was at the meeting and because I didn't respond, she CALLED MY OFFICE to make sure I was there.

The secretary picked up and told her I was in a meeting, was there an emergency? And she said no and hung up.

This kind of behavior is insane to me. She is obsessive, needy, clingy, and just plain crazy.

I feel like if I 'break up' with her formally she will go off the deep end, so I've been trying to fade her out by responding less frequently to her texts and making up excuses as to why I can't hang out, but she's not getting the hint.

How would you guys go about this? Thank you

She is obsessive, needy, clingy, and just plain crazy.
Yet you've continued to hang out with her for a year, and texting back and forth with her. I don't understand what you mean in your thread title when you refer to burning bridges. What connections do the two of you have? Anyway, stop answering her texts and don't return her calls. Don't initiate any get togethers, don't contact her at all, and don't accept her invitations. No need to lie and pretend to be busy 24/7, that's cowardly and lame. If she asks you what's up tel her you don't think the two of you have anything in common. Then wish her luck and walk away.
  • Like 1