My roommate won't fix her female cat - driving me insane.

acapelo_dp

Hello everyone,

I need some advice on an issue I am having in regards to my roommates cat. This girl and I have lived together for 10 months now and for the most part she is quiet, pays rent on time and is respectful - which is a good deal considering I didn't know her at all before she moved in with me. My old roommate recommended her to me. When this roommate moved in she had a female cat that was a few months old.

Now, I love animals but I am not typically a HUGE cat person - I love dogs. I don't tend to have a problem with cats but this cat is super annoying. Firstly, she has ruined my couch which my roommate and I had to throw out (it was velvet) and the cat sprayed on it constantly and it caught a lot of hair. Now we have no couch.

Secondly, I have mentioned to my roommate that she should get the cat fixed. It has been in heat on and off for the past 6 months or more, and when she is in heat she rubs up against me and meows and howls SUPER loudly which is really annoying. The cat also jumps up on the counters constantly and jumps on me/scratches me and will roll around the floor and put her butt in the air. Gross.

I have gone so far as two months ago call around the city for the cheapest price possible for her so that it wouldn't be an inconvenience for her and sent my roommate the link to the clinic - it was only $185 with everything included which is a very good deal. She said that she would do it soon but didn't have the money. Two months later and nothing has been done, so I sent her a text this morning asking her to please make an appointment when she can because the cat is in heat again. I can't take the cats behaviour any longer. My roommate hasn't responded to my text and it's late in the evening. I usually don't see her as she works nights mostly and I work days.

What should I do about this? I really don't want confrontation with her but I can't take the cat anymore and she should be taking care of her pet responsibilities. I plan on speaking with her in person, but what should I say to her without being mean?

whichwayisup

She is your roommate, so give her a choice. She can fix her cat or she can start looking for another place. It really is that simple. You asked her to move in with you and if it's not working, then she needs to go and take her loud in heat cat with her.

Just be honest, tell her the cat in heat is driving you nuts.

You two aren't long term friends, you're roommates so keep it perspective. if her feelings are hurt, so be it. You can say it kindly and respectfully, how you feel and hope that she understands and fixes the cat.

Edited by whichwayisup
  • Like 5

I'm a cat person and even I would get annoyed in that situation. I don't understand why people get pets without researching the costs up front - if she'd done that she would've known that neutering/spaying a cat is strongly recommended and she shouldn't even be getting a cat if she can't afford that.

I agree with WWIU, calmly tell her that you really can't tolerate this much longer and she needs to get the cat fixed by a certain date (say, next week) or she will have to leave.

• Like 4

I agree that the time has come to give your roommate a choice; she gets the kitten fixed now or she has 30 days to find a new roommate situation. Check your state's tenant-landlord handbook (should be available online) for situations like this. I believe you have to give the renter 30 days notice before you call the city for a formal eviction notice. The word 'eviction' should spur your roommate into action, or she really isn't a responsible roommate despite the recommendation that she is.

I mean, her kitten destroyed your property already and now you have no couch to sit on. I would have evicted her after that happened, and I'm a HUGE cat person. I have always owned a cat. And I just visited a friend in another state who fosters cats, and whose husband decided they needed to replace their 2 sofas b/c of the cat spray from the male cats they foster. Cats are much higher maintenance pets than dogs are.

I hope your roommate respects your wish and gets her kitten fixed. If not, time to look for another roommate -- specify "pet free" in your new roommate ad. But hopefully it won't have to come to that.

• Like 1
loveweary11

The cat's not at all happy either.

It's torture for an indoor cat to be in heat. My old cat was in heat once before we got her fixed. She was a menace to anyone and anything in the apartment, but couldn't help it, the hormones made her crazy.

We had an opening window at ground level and 4 or 5 male cats would gather outside it.

Once she was fixed, she became normal again. Sweet, nice and well behaved.

If it were me, I'd lay it on the line like everyone else said... but...I remember how hard it is to find a good roommate. I'd also consider getting th animal fixed and adding it to her rent if she's being lazy about it. (but telling her by x date the cat will be fixed and she'll owe the money if she doesn't fix it before then)

whichwayisup

I do know that a cat is supposed to go through one cycle (being in heat) once before being fixed, but obviously it's way past that time now.

Just remembered this while having my morning coffee. :)

It is best if they go through a cycle, but all kittens are fixed here before adoption because they can't trust people to do it even if they give them a voucher.

SycamoreCircle

Unfortunately, cats spray EVERYWHERE. You're just not aware of it. Watch some of the Jackson Galaxy My Cat From He77.

Totally get the discomfort of the cat in heat thing ....really gives me the creeps seeing them look back over their shoulder at you like "gonna hit it, stud?" :eek:

• Author
acapelo_dp
Totally get the discomfort of the cat in heat thing ....really gives me the creeps seeing them look back over their shoulder at you like "gonna hit it, stud?" :eek:

Haha right!? It grosses me out so much!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I talked to her today in person just an hour ago and told her that she needs to get the cat fixed by the end of the month. She waitresses and has been working long hours and said she will definitely get her fixed asap - so problem solved! :) No more butt rubbing.

• Like 1
lollipopspot
I do know that a cat is supposed to go through one cycle (being in heat) once before being fixed, but obviously it's way past that time now.

No, they're not supposed to do that. It's generally considered irresponsible to do that now, and that's why millions of kittens and cats are killed in shelters every year. Too many of them, and not enough homes. Many shelters now do spay/neuters at 2 months/2 pounds.

• Like 2