A old friend contacted me the other day

Harradin

An old friend added me on Facebook the other day who I knew from a car club but I had left the club a couple of years ago but she didn't keep in touch.

She sent me a message asking how I was and to catch up, a few messages went back and forth until she mentioned out of the blue, "have you spoken to ____ since?"

_____ happened to be the reason why I left the club (and was part of the reason why I joined here,) we used to be friends but he went behind my back, started chasing my girlfriend at the time, persuaded her to cheat on me with him, then she left me for him. After a month of doing stupid things, I kicked them both out my life and told both to never contact me again. I heard that 6 months on, she cheated on him and ran off with somebody else.

I replied saying that "I hadn't, and that I had no plans to," she then replied that it was a shame, that she hadn't told him that she was talking to me, she added me because she wanted to catch up/keep in touch and wasn't trying to be in the middle, but he had told her that he wanted to get in touch with me again.

I politely replied saying that despite a couple of years passing by, he had shown me his true colours, leopards don't change their spots and if I got in touch with him, I'd lose my self respect so I still had no intention of considering getting back in touch. Plus he wasn't exactly a friend to me in the first place! She hasn't replied to that so far but she's seen it which is making me believe that she was trying to get into the middle.

Am I wrong to take offence at this? I think its a bit rich to not talk to me for two years to suddenly get in touch to ask me that! Considering _____ hasn't contacted me, am I just blowing this out of proportion?

You can take offense that the bad guy wants to renew your friendship but don't be too harsh on the person who reached out & put herself in the middle. She was trying to do the right thing & play peace maker. You certainly never have to take the other guy back into your life & you can distance yourself from the woman who did reach out. Just don't bite her head off.

• 2 weeks later...

She was probably just using that as an ice breaker to get back in touch, as it was something she remembered from your past that would kick start a conversation.

I think she was just fishing to see if he had gotten back with you or what. She may still have a thing for him. She was fishing for something else if not that.