Not sure how to reply

So I have a friend who I did everything with and we have had our ups and downs. The last fight we got into was over a month ago. He assumed I was pushing him away and didn't care about him because I wouldn't tell him the horrible things that were happening. I called him early in the morning to tell him that there are things that I wanted to say and that I need him there, but had a change of heart of telling him. We thus fought. So I waited a month so we can both calm down. The other day was his birthday and I wished him a happy birthday and told him that even though we aren't friends that I still care (I messaged him on Facebook). He replied with, "I just wish you would mean that with your actions."

The question is, what should I reply with? Obviously he is still a bit hurt. Should I take this time to apologize for my actions and explain myself? Or should I say something entirely different. If so, then what?

I do want to make things right again, whether or not we decide to be close again. Sorry if this is confusing.

Should I take this time to apologize for my actions and explain myself?

Are you genuinely sorry? Do you understand why he got upset with you? If so, then yeah, you should apologize.

But you have to apologize correctly. No making excuses or shifting the blame, no saying "I'm sorry you were offended" or anything like that. Giving a ****ty apology will probably just make things worse, so if you're going to do it, do it right.

If your friend interpreted you not confiding in him as pushing him away, he may have also interpreted you giving him space as pushing him away as well? It might be worth mentioning in a reply to him that it wasn't your intention to end the friendship.

Good luck! :-)

todreaminblue

isnt that a bit back handed to say even though we arent friends i still care?

why would you care?

• Author

Thank you for all your advice. I sent him a message saying that I would rather talk about it in person along with a brief version of my apology.

He replied back with, "Very well, I will humor you with an in-person conversation sometime..." :/

He replied back with, "Very well, I will humor you with an in-person conversation sometime..." :/

He sounds like a major douche.