Friends and weed

TylerDurdenn

My old school friends kindly accepted back into the group after I neglected them during my 4 year relationship with my ex. However, they all smoke weed and don't want to do anything else! Every time I ask them to go out clubbing etc they say no as they're chilling getting high. I joined them for one session last week, and bearing in mind I haven't smoked weed before, I didn't enjoy it.

What do I do? I am pretty desperate for some friends but I find building new relationships difficult..

You leave them to their illegal activities & get new friends.

Join a meetup group. Volunteer somewhere. Go back to school. Check out an alumni association but ditch them.

• Like 3
headinthecloud

It sounds like you've grown and hey haven't. Find some like minded friends. Go to a coffee shop regularly or get to know the cashiers at the grocer. Meetup.com is terrific too. Get out and have fun!!

• Like 2

Oh man, I went thru the same thing. I got over the whole session of sitting around smoking dope for too long.. Yeah, go to the gym, go to a club, join a team, go to the beach, just go up to strangers you'd think you'd get along with… Just be friendly and it should come easy for you. It took me probably a few weeks-months to really find new friends that don't just sit around lazy as hell

AShogunNamedMarcus

How is it immature to sit around enjoying weed instead of going clubbing?

It's not like wine and beer are more "mature" drugs to get high off of. If anything, the weed is a more responsible choice than alcohol for many reasons.

You can hang with whatever type of people you want to, just have to be willing to put yourself out there and make friends with like-minded people.

No need to disrespect others choices.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 4

You knock them for smoking and hanging out home, yet you want to go out and get drunk . Nothing wrong with either, its just personal preference .

You can still be friends with these guys, just don't invite them to go clubbing. Fins a different social circle to fulfill that desire.

• Like 4
todreaminblue

what you have to do is what is best for you.......if these people who smoke make you uncomfortable dont hang with them find some new people to hang with......more often.....but dont desert people in need fi you class them as friends....your friends are in need...be there for them too ...distance yourself from the smoke and the bongs make it clear you dont want to smoke or be around smoke...adn you migth fidn they respect you adn your stance....i have friends who smoke who proudly say to others when soemoen asks is deb having some ...they say no deb doesnt smoke she doesnt like it....my true friends actually get protective if i am harassed.......good luck......deb

Find friends who enjoy the same activities as you. This isn't really about weed, it is more about common interests.

• Like 3

Friends with with weed are friends indeed.

Just kidding. :laugh:

Look for other social groups to make friends with, like hiking, bowling, whatever.

• Like 1

I personally have no problem with pot. I used to smoke ridiculous amounts of it then I just kind of grew out of it. I smoke once in a blue moon, that's about it. Glad to be a Canadian where people seem to be a lot more open minded about things.

But the issue seems to be that you don't like it, therefore you need find other groups of friends.

A lot of my friends still smoke, but it doesn't bother me at all when I choose not to. It's not like they become complete raging idiots and we do stuff that we'd do whether high or sober (i,e play sports, watch movies, etc). Is this at all an option for you or are they simply not doing anything that excites you whatsoever? I mean high people may be content with sitting on the couch but if you bring up something you want to do it doesn't mean they'll not want to do it either.

• Like 1

As long as you do not get in any trouble and do not hurt anyone or yourself, I don't see why you should not do what your mind sets you to. But remember that you do things not to please your friends or to win someone's heart, you do it for yourself. When you are expecting something in return, believe me you will eventually not recognize yourself and regret putting aside your genuine feelings to seek the approval of others.

I guess you must be pretty young, so it is the time to make mistakes...I am not saying go ahead and smoke weed (your story is a coincidence, I was planning once to smoke weed with that close friend of mine the next time I would pay her a friendly visit in town, but it'll never happen long story short), but have all the fun you can have without getting off the track too much.

befriendlyplease
My old school friends kindly accepted back into the group after I neglected them during my 4 year relationship with my ex. However, they all smoke weed and don't want to do anything else! Every time I ask them to go out clubbing etc they say no as they're chilling getting high. I joined them for one session last week, and bearing in mind I haven't smoked weed before, I didn't enjoy it.

What do I do? I am pretty desperate for some friends but I find building new relationships difficult..

I was in that situation. It wasn't the weed, it was the sitting around watching tv and video games that drove me stir crazy.

I went to clubs and ventured out on my own. Clubs are not good places to make friends. I'm glad I didn't stay couch locked, but I have no lasting relationships from my years clubbing.

Consider athletic daytime social activities such as hiking groups, biking, kayaking, etc.

To the OP, sounds like you just need to find a group of people to share your interests with. They're out there. Just find them. :)

on topic posts please, this is not a thread about how good or bad pot is for you or how bad alcohol is in comparison!

IMO, focus on your interests and grow new friendships over time and deal with being alone and learn to enjoy it. Also, as you grow new friendships, should you happen to meet another lady, learn from your past experience and *do not* abandon your friends when in a relationship with a woman. She can become part of your life, maybe even your best friend, but she's not your *whole* life.

Good luck.

• Like 1

It's tough when friends get into something you're not into like this. Your options are hang out and be okay with it, or moving on and finding new friends.

• 2 months later...

I agree. Time to make new friends. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and just about everyone did that, but some just let it take over their daily lives and do nothing but sit around. Once I was out of town staying with friends and there was a nearby store I said I was going to walk to and a couple said, Hey, hang on and I'll go with you." Hours later, still no movement off the sofa. I took a bus to the nearest town and rented a place there and only went back to see them like once during my stay.