I can see why friendships with women can be problematic

irc333

There's this one woman I have known for a while, through friends in real life, met her twice at a couple of events and had added each other to our FB.

THis was about a year ago and we keep in touch on occasion. I have to admit, at first I had some kind of dating interest in her, suggested we get together for a bike ride and she said she'd like to do that, I asked for her phone number, but she said she only met me twice and doesn't feel comfortable enough to give it out yet, and was never able to find the time to meet up with me for a bike trail ride.

Plus, after getting to know her, there had been a few things about her that would make us incompatible anyhow.

I eventually lost touch after a while, and I usually do a "clean up" of friends once in a while if I haven't been in touch with them for a good amount of time.

Well, this year I had lost a loved one, word spread back to her, and she contacted me, proactively, giving me her condolences...that being said, I kind of felt bad about having removed her, because I thought she never really cared or knew me all that well enough to be concerned. I have very few close friends, and I didn't think she "thought" of me to to really care. I thought she was kind of opening up to me.

Lately, we have been in touch with each other about the final season of Breaking Bad, lol....and going over the show after it had ended.

Also, apparently there was some major accident in my area on the news and sent me a message hoping I was okay. I said I was fine and it was just a couple of miles from where I live and thanked her for her concern.

During that time, well, between her two "Concerned" emails I had added her back as a friend..I contacted her asking her about adding me back on, and she tells me today that she doesn't like to play the "games" of friending and unfriending people on FB.

And I was like "what in the world are you talking about...games??"

Then I told her "Well you wouldn't even give me your phone # because you had your reasons, but now this? I'm confused, please explain."

I'm realizing friendships with women are just as much as a headache as dating them. lol

Yeah, I don't recommend it. Every time I try to befriend women it ends in some huge fight or misunderstanding, and I've never met a girl that actually wanted to talk out problems as opposed to fighting and then cutting off all contact. Eventually they get mad if you don't pursue them and come back to make sure they're still important, which is why no contact is the best course.

It's irritating though because I always think I can make a friendship work and I always fail. Dealing with girls is far different than guys.

I know exactly where she's coming from. I've had people request friendship on facebook to only go and defriend me again after some time. It really gets on my nerves~ if I've done something to be de-friended over tell me! Otherwise I think you're playing adolescent games. I now block anyone who de-friends me.:p I'll be the only adolescent on my page!:lmao:

She gets the sense that you like her and doesn't want to encourage more. That's what it sounds like to me.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 2

I don't get why people put so much emotion into these facebook friendships. But anyway, since you guys have been keeping in touch anyway, does the friend request really matter?

• Like 2
todreaminblue

I have friends on face book who dont talk to me, i dont unfriend them....i hardly ever go on it.......friends who know me know that i am not a facebooker

unfriending people even sounds childish......deb

• Like 1
What you had with this woman wasn't a friendship, it wasn't even the start of a friendship. At best it was an elongated awkward acquaintance. Now, having female friends can obviously be problematic for a variety of reasons but this isn't one of the symptoms.

"elongated awkward acquaintance"- I should add that to my vocabulary. :p

• Like 1
todreaminblue
What you had with this woman wasn't a friendship, it wasn't even the start of a friendship. At best it was an elongated awkward acquaintance. Now, having female friends can obviously be problematic for a variety of reasons but this isn't one of the symptoms.

oooh i have to keep that ....lol imagery at its finest written by contrefaire.....elongated awkward aquaintance....shakespearean...smilin...luv luv luv it....deb

• Like 1