What's the meaning of this?

The Introvert

The Introvert

Hie, mine is a minor issue but I am so lonely that I think of it way too far.Here it is...

I join fb this year after bein a misery gut for ages (been through a lot), I send a friend request to a girl I know from grade school and there is no response so I cancel it. She starts poking me and I poke back everytime then I break the ice and say 'hie', she happily responds and says a joke to which I laugh bla bla.She asks me what I am up to and I LIE that that I am going to a university out of the country doing aircraft eng (am not sure she believes that but she knows I am intelligent).She tells me she is going to a university in the country doing physiotherapy and I tell her that I am happy for her then (the awkward part I think) she asks me whether I was out of the country or not and I tell I was around( I had built walls around me) and the conversation came to an abrupt end.......my question is why did she bother to poke and briefly converse with me when she DIDN'T accept my friend request? Any input is sincerely appreciated.