How do you keep a friendship despite severe moral differences?

Meganarcle

todreaminblue

morals are very personal, it is easier to maintain friendships of equal values.....doesnt make a friendship where is it not equal less worthwhile....judgmental behavior in friendships should be out...i also feel in my opinion hanging around people with hgih standards and values can rub off, the other way around shouldnt be a problem if you aspire to the values you believe in, you wont lower your values or morals to hang with a friend they may just come up to where you are if you are non judgmental and accepting...as they are admirable traits.....deb

• Like 1

As mentioned, when two people have vastly different moral standards, one is going to start rubbing off on the other... and sometimes this may be the wrong way (lower rubbing on higher standards). Consider if this is happening to you, because you may end up resenting a friend who's causing you to behave out of your own comfort zone for the sake of the friendship.

Sometimes, these friendships simply end because both people are constantly at odds and don't find enough in common to keep the friendship going. That's okay too... better to walk away from a friend than constantly make each other miserable.

-A

Sometimes we have to realize certain people come into our life timeline for a reason and a season. Once that reason has been exhausted and the season has come to an end. No hard feelings, but there is no more need for that friendship.

• Like 1
How do you keep a friendship despite severe moral differences?

Why would you want such a friendship? :confused:

Friendships to me should be easy and are because I resonate with this person and we get along naturally.

I however categorize people. My close inner circle are those with whom I am most similar to in values/worldview/lifestyle, feel the most comfort with, trust etc. Then as the circle widens, those other "friends" are people I may hang out with more casually and for certain reasons but we are not similar enough to be very close friends.

If I had severe moral differences with someone I would not push to keep that friendship. I may not discard them abruptly, but I would treat it VERY casually.

if the moral one gets pious and critical, go, but if he's she's not like you but is nice anyway, then stay, it's when they sneer that, ime, they're simply being unpleasant because they think they're better, i'm not very moral, enjoying a bit of decadence