Broke up with best friend

Angie30

[sorry this is so long, I guess I just need to vent.

My (ex) best friend and I were best friends for about 17 years, but we’ve known each other much longer. He was always there for me no matter what—even when my own husband wasn’t there for me. He knows EVERYTHING about me, even that my dad physically abused me.

A few years ago I noticed a change in him. He started to make snide remarks about people who have college degrees, people who work 9-5 jobs, etc (both describe me). Because of a stupid mistake he made at age 18, he has a felony on his record and isn’t able to get most jobs that he’s otherwise qualified for. So clearly his rude remarks stem from jealousy.

I also noticed that he started to show off about money, exotic vacations, homes he was going to purchase, etc. I know for a fact he was lying because he still lived with his mom and had absolutely no proof of any of it. As a matter of fact his car was falling apart. He often told me to “leave my 9-5 and become an entrepreneur” like him.

I dealt with this for a few years, but I also had several talks with him about it, and he just denied everything. I started to confront him about his lying and he accused me of “stalking him,” this really infuriated me.

He also started to hang around very low class people: drunks, slutty girls, etc. I tried warning him that their behavior WILL rub off on him, but he didn’t listen.

My husband and I eventually had a baby and received no gift (not even a bib, which would’ve been appreciated bec my husband and I were struggling financially) from my best friend and that hurt me immensely. In fact he couldn’t even remember my daughter’s name. Everytime we spoke, he’d say, “what’s her name again?” Her name is actually very simple and that hurt me even more.

I guess what “broke the camel’s back” was when he started lying and bragging on Facebook and continued to put other people down. I eventually broke the friendship off, but told him that I loved him and I’m still there for him if he needs me. And I meant that. He never did admit his lies, he just insisted I was stalking him (I'm the mother of a toddler, I have no time!). I really miss my old friend, not the person he’s become. I don’t think I’ll ever find a person like him.

Angie:

Your friend sounds like he has his own problems and issues...he changed. You are missing who he once was, not who he is now. What you are describing is a man who has some severe emotional and mental issues.

It is best that he moves on. you do not want your children around him or any of his new friends.

Sometimes relationships change and no matter how much we want to hang onto them, we really cannot. You did the right thing for you and your family. Perhaps if you are lucky he will get off this very self-destructive path he is on right now. If not, you had a really great friend for a while who enriched your life. Remember him and not the person he has become.

AW