New potential friend is possibly a moocher....

shocked_confused

shocked_confused

Hey everyone,

I need your opinions on a little situation I have going. Lets start with saying I recently moved to a big city. While I have a couple of close friends and some acquaintances here, I think it would be nice to make some new friends as well.

One night earlier this week I was doing laundry in my buildings laundry room when the guy next to me was struggling with his machine. It ate his token. He didn't have another token on him so I offered him one of mine. He was very thankful and after this we got into almost an hour long conversation about life, interests, travel, etc. He even invited me to go out for drinks at this bar down the street with a couple of his friends Thursday (now today). I was pretty thrilled.

A few minutes later i needed to go back to my unit for fabric softener to put in the dryer and he needed to go up to his unit for something as well. I figured he was getting more tokens for himself since he needed to dry his clothes. Well when we both get back down to the laundry room he actually asks me for another token for the dryer! And for the Bounce sheets! I know in the grand scheme of things this doesn't sound like a big deal but those 2 tokens cost 6 dollars!

I just don't understand how someone goes to do laundry only having one token and no dryer sheets. It's like he went in expecting a Good Samaritan to pay for him.

Anyway, am I being too paranoid? Should I bother going out with him later? I don't want to be friends with someone whose going to sayyyy, forget his wallet when we go out to eat. Nope, no thank you I'm not rich. What do you guys think?

If someone has mooching tendancies, just don't play into it. Once you've said no a few times, they'll get the hint and look for someone else to ask. If they truly like you as a friend they will still want to be around you but will respect the boundaries you have set.

• Author
shocked_confused

Thanks darkroom and spiralout, I will try these things if I decide to hang out with him.

Radu, I thought about that but I really don't think so. He has lived on his own for a while and seems like a bright guy. He even told me that he is finicky about how he does his laundry, and hang dries a lot of his clothes. So I feel like he knows a bit about laundry.

• Like 1