What do you do about a friend with a constant negative attitude?

rockstarmusician

rockstarmusician

I've got this friend in college right now and she's 39 years old. I'm 18. It's great to have a friend like her sometimes to see the different perspectives and such, but lately, she's been extremely negative about everything (especially school - and that's what I do not need right now) and I really don't know what to do. Her step son just got injured really badly and so that's been really getting her down and all these assignments we have in school right now is not helping her. She's saying that she's only going to stay this semester and call it quits after that and move away from here. Should I talk to one of the instructors about this, or what should I do? I don't want to lose her as a friend, but something does need to be done about it!

It sounds as though she is haveing a tough time right now. As a friend you need to be there for her through the rough times as well as the good times. Sometimes people don't need advise they just need someone to vent out there frustrations and listen to them. Yes it gets depressing and it's not what you need when you are tring to study all of the time. When someone anoys me with constant neg. thoughts or wining I always say "Look at the bright side it could be worse." or

"When your at the bottom there is no place to go but up." Maybe treat her to a day out. Take her out to lunch are to the movies, something not to expensive but that will make her feel special. On the condition that she is not negetive. Also try to talk her out of quitting school. I was going to quit college after 2nd semester, a friend said she would study will me and help all that she could if I didn't quit. Thanks to her I Graduated my nursing course.

Good Luck

It sounds like you would be a very good friend to have, and I am sure that your friend is very greatful to have you around in this tough situation.

How long have you been friends? Has she always been negative?

It sounds like its situational - she's negative because things are tough for her right now. If you can, it would be great if you could stick by her through the rough times. You sound like a great person!

• Author
rockstarmusician

I've only known her for 5 months and no, she isn't usually negative about things. I should just come up to her tomorrow say and give her a big hug. :) I think she needs it.