LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

What do you think of internet friendships?

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011, 8:56 PM   #1
Established Member

What do you think of internet friendships?

Sorry I couldn't be a little more descriptive here, but what do you think of them overall?
The Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 12:32 AM   #2

In short, I think they're unhealthy.
LynnieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Established Member

Real friendships facilitated by modern communication? Like

Virtual friendships? Not so much.

Real friendships, IMO, require pressing of flesh, looking into eyes, shaking of hands, interacting in close proximity. That said, I have real friends all over the world and the internet has been a great tool to keep in touch with them, along with inexpensive international phone service and relatively cheap air fares.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 3:24 PM   #4

Friendship is a blessing. Whether you have friends from your school, college neighbor or even internet, you must remain loyal to them. But picking friends over the net; you have to be choosy because it's your decision that matters in the later time.
fanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 3:32 PM   #5
Cee
Established Member

I have one online friendship that has been going on for 3 years. But I never intended it to be online and have asked him repeatedly to meet me. He's busy and reclusive so the meet up never happened.

I eventually got drained and decided to focus my energy on my real world friends. If he wants to meet up, that's great. But I'm tired of IM, texting, Facebook, etc.

I feel like I sort of know him based on so much communication, but I can't call him a real friend unless I meet him. We haven't been in touch for several months now and I don't miss him. If he was a real friend, I think I would.
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 4:55 PM   #6

I don't see a problem with them if you ask me a friend is a friend
Isaiah Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 4:56 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah Jackson View Post
I don't see a problem with them if you ask me a friend is a friend
Yeah.. I agree..

I have a few internet friendships..male and female.
They are different in the fact that there isn't any face to face but certainly they are there.
It isn't any different than say having an old friend who has moved away 20 years ago and you guys are still friends over the phone and email/FB

Last edited by Art_Critic; 21st September 2011 at 4:58 PM..
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 4:59 PM   #8
Established Member

Now if you are speaking about internet relationships while being in a committed relationship then that isn't friendship.. but cheating
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 5:01 PM   #9

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
I'm all for good friendships.

I play Scrabble online, like a junkie. I have met two of my fellow players irl; one from all the way across the country. It was very cool! I consider them actual friends, and I believe that our relationships will evolve to be more dimensional over time.

There are a couple of people I've gotten to know right here on LS whom I would be happy to meet irl, if circumstances ever favor it.
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 5:03 PM   #10

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
Now if you are speaking about internet relationships while being in a committed relationship then that isn't friendship.. but cheating
Yes, what Art said.
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 5:08 PM   #11
Established Member

Penpals, sure. But it can go too far, as this couple attest:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle5151126.ece
betterdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 9:45 PM   #12
Established Member

I have four friendships that began with only Internet contact. Two from LS.
I have met all four people in person and we continue to email or Skype daily. I consider three of them very close friends. Since my experiences have been positive, I think highly of internet friendships.
Dorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 10:07 PM   #13

Love Shack has been good to me as far as my feelings about "internet friends". I had previously frequented some really intellectual debate forums and I wouldn't give a toss for anyone who called me a friend at one time or another there--no loyalty and all gone. But I made a friend here right away and she has been rock solid and loyal ever since for the year plus I've been here. And now I'm met my honey, F L.
Feelin Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 3:19 AM   #14

Internet friendship is really fake i don't believe that. There is mostly fake peoples. I hate that.
Old 24th September 2011, 3:25 AM   #15
Established Member

Overall, I don't see any harm in them as long as they don't turn into what Art described.
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote