Ending 5 year friendship. Did I do the right thing?

LifeServer

I ended a friendship that I thought was ending and my friend had no response what does that mean?

My friend and I were best friends for over 5 years. But for the last year when he moved out on his own he seemed to be more focused on the new friendships he was making and in a way pushing me aside. I talked to him about it many times and he felt bad for what he did and everything seemed good. Then recently he started doing it again. Well then I happened to do something that made him mad on top of asking why he was ditching me. Then he hungup the phone on me and would only talk via email or online which made me so mad. I heard from one of his other friends that this was really bothering him but he would not talk it through and I kept trying to talk to him about it. Well, it's been over a month and I finally sent him an email ending it. I didn't know what else to do. To me it was already over. I know he read my email yesterday but had nothing in response. The strange thing is he still has pictures of me on his myspace and facebook. In addition to comments I made. What should I think?

People Change either closer or apart. Friendship is not like a relationship either it is kinda hard to end. Give your bud a bit of time... he may just need space from you and some people need to think it through and relaize what they ha lost... he may come back apologize (especially knowing that he hurt your feelings)and if he doesnt then hes not worth of a friend keeping anyways.

Good luck!

• Author

Thanks. So even though I technically ended it in an email he may eventually realize and come back? Meaning if he is still my friend. I guess I do find it odd he still has pictures of me on his myspace and facebook in addition to old comments and I would figure if it was really over those would be deleted. But should I be concerned he is going out with other friends and doing stuff? I do agree though, if he one day realizes he will come back if he was really my friend. But is a month too long? Is there a point when I should draw the line?

I guess I do find it odd he still has pictures of me on his myspace and facebook in addition to old comments and I would figure if it was really over those would be deleted.

It's over for you, but that doesn't mean it's over for him. Not everyone reacts the same way... he might think that since you were a part of his life in the past, you shouldn't be removed from his myspace, even if the friendship has waned.

Are you male or female? I get the impression that you don't consider that friendship with him just a friendship, or you wouldn't be so upset that he no longer has as much time to devote to you.

-E

whichwayisup

I'm sure he hasn't even thought of deleting old pictures and comments.

All you can do is back off. He hasn't replied to your email so in one sense, that says something when you think about it..

• Author

It really is not over for me either. I deleted him because I figured it would wake him up. Granted if we ever in the future decide to resolve things I know our friendship will not be what it was. Maybe over time it will get back to normal but never totally. My thing is that in my heart I really want our friendship to resolve. I don't see why we have to end a 5 year friendship over a stupid mistake. I guess I just want to believe that one day he really will wake up and these little things such as leaving my pictures of is a sign that it's not. But I did mention in that email that maybe one day he will realize what he lost and call me and that I may even answer the phone. I just really don't want it to end but what else could I do? I need a friend that can talk out problems we have and move on.