A Complicated Love

Catching22

Well, I suppose I'll just get straight to the story. Over a year ago, I fell in love with my best friend, whom I had been friends with for eight years. I fell so deeply in love with him, that I finally came out and told him my feelings online.

In reply, he posted a bulletin to everyone stating that he was in fact, gay, though he had had many relationships before this time. I was shocked, and though we remain the best of friends, I still am unstable in my feelings over him. I still love him, in the best way anyone can love someone, but I realize that we can never be.

Its hard though, loving someone so much and unable to be loved in return. How do I get over these feelings I've had for him? How do I move on to someone else after having met such a wonderful person?

:bunny:Thanks for any advice you are willing to give everyone.

Umm, is he really gay? Did he post the bulletin immediately after you told him how you feel??

I guess you can only push the feelings away, and try and remember how you felt about him when you were just friends.

Catching22: You should read a book I am about to recommend to you. I think it will help you a lot - and help you not to give up on the friendship.

It is called "Love Is Where It Falls" by Simon Callow.

One of the people in this book was in a situation very similar to the one you are in now... and the friendship did NOT end but only grew deeper.

As for your friend's reaction... is it possible his extreme reaction was in part caused by his own shock that someone who knew him well for 8 years (I assume you knew him well) did not know he was gay? Maybe he too is having a crisis of identity and crisis in many of his relationships.

Take care