How to meet new friends?

Magnatolia

Hi all,

I believe that uni is literally the first major social step after school. If you look around nearly all friendships were formed at uni. Plus uni creates events and activities so the students can meet.

The problem is that I didn't go to uni, and now have hardly any friends apart from 1 or 2 I met at work, who unfortunately are too busy and I rarely see them.

A bit about me. I work full time as a contractor and get to meet loads of new people. I am shy but once I know someone am a good conversationality and easy to get along with. I get along with loads of people at work, chat and laugh around. But none of them want to bring the work friendship outside of work.

I feel that the main reason is that I literally make it one on one as I don't have any social plans that I can invite them to, and am unsure on how to get an invite to whatever they are doing with their friends.

I don't have any hobbies, interests etc that I would want to join a group for. So the only people I meet are at work and they don't want to be friends outside work.

I know of one or two websites that you can sign up for activities like drinks or whatever to meet people, but there seem to be very few members on the site around my age. Plus some of the activities get 10-30 participants which isn't very good for a shy person who wants to actually get to 'know' them.

So does anyone have any advice on how to make friends? It's not like I'm not trying :)

Thanks