My new house comes with a roomate

the_maid

We have been friends for 14 years and she rents out the basement (well, she didn't pay rent before, but I am asking her to.) She is using my toilet paper, laundry detergent, ziplocks, etc. She has lived here longer, but it is MY house now. It is wierd to start making all sorts of demands, but she is such a slob too. I am constantly cleaning up after her and her daughter. She leaves food and dishes out and only cleans up part of her messes. The basement is TRASHED! We think we have mice coming from down there. I feel like since I am a stay at home mom, she assumes that I will clean up after her. She only works 3 days a week, but disappears on the other 4 days and does not even unload the dishwasher or take even her own bathroom trash out. I refuse to do it and I can feel trouble brewing. How do I approach the issues without causing tension? I really don't want her to feel bad and I honestly think she has NO IDEA how much work she is creating for me. I know we need a chore list, but how much should she be delegated? There are 4 in my family and 2 in hers. What is fair? Thanks!