LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working from home

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2006, 5:58 PM   #1
Established Member

Working from home

Well, they decided that they need my office and they want me to work from home..Makes more since anyways, I am usually in the field.

However, I'm not sure if they realize they have to pay my phone line, DSL and etc..

Who works from home and can tell me what their company pays for regarding their home office?
BeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 6:59 AM   #2

Depends on what you are--employee or contractor. If employeee, they ought to foot it all--phone, office supplies, any furnishings you need, etc. If you have DSL at home already, that might be a bargaining chip --- you pay for that (you already are) and let them piggy back on it.

But if you are contract it is all on your own. You may be able to negotiate a separate phone line for their work, but that is a case by case
933KJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 7:45 AM   #3
a4a
Established Member

It is a tax writeoff as well for you if an employee or just under contract. Start keeping records Home Offices need lots of records and must be dedicated soley to your work, even a portion of your electric bill may be deducted. Lots of info out there if you google the subject.
Old 11th May 2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Established Member

Thanks for your help. Yes I am an employee not a contractor. I will prob. just write off my DSL, but I call back east quite a lot for work so I need them to pay for that.
BeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Established Member

There's a lot that you can use on your taxes if you work from home, including the space you use for your home office. As for DSL there may be a way to differentiate between personal use and business use so you get more of a write-off, but your records have to be perfect. In your place I would check with a CPA that works with home-based businesses and employees - their fee can also be written off at tax time.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeFree
... but I call back east quite a lot for work so I need them to pay for that.
Check out VOIP like Vonage. You get to call anywhere in the U.S. or Canada for free.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote