I need to get my co-worker to stop talking

kitten chick

I have a co-worker who is a talker. Sometimes she traps you for way too long. It's fine, she means well and we have all figured out ways to end conversations with her. She started dating someone about half a year ago and talks about him incessantly. It's gotten to the point when she comes over I'll usually just stay focused on my computer screen and not turn around. I usually ignore the first attempt to talk to me but I acknowledge her after she says my name or makes a second attempt. I'm really glad she's happy, she deserves it but I really don't want to hear about it. How can I make her stop talking?!?!

Just simply say what you have said here...that you are happy she's so happy and that she deserves it but work isn't the place to discuss the issue.

kitten chick

Well I don't want to be a b!tch about it. And we all talk about this stuff just not to the extent that she does. One of my friends does this too and it drives me nucking futs.

there is not much you can do without alienating your colleague. either deal with it or change jobs.

actually, everyone has a co-worker that has some idiosyncracies.

Just repeatedly pass gas while she is trying to talk to you....... that should drive her off.

:D

Just tell her you would love to be able to chat with her but you have work to do right now.

kitten chick
Just tell her you would love to be able to chat with her but you have work to do right now.
I would have hoped not taking my eyes off of my screen when she tried to talk to me would have done the trick but it doesn't. The problem is that most of the people in my office don't like me because coming to this place every day is pure and utter torture for me and it shows. I've been looking for a new job for a long time now but I would like to keep in tact whatever work relationships I have currently.

if you were a guy you could rub your nuts while she talked to you

she'd stop taking to you after a while

kitten chick

Re: Passing gas and rubbing my nuts (which I don't even have)...I'd like to not be the office freakshow. I think being the office b!tch is enough of a title for me.

I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it until I find a new job. :(

well you could always wear ear muffs all year round and nod your head to everything she says

or even better send her a donut thru your mail and then she will be too busy eating to go talk to you

whichwayisup
How can I make her stop talking?!?!

Your response, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I have alot of work to do in the upcoming weeks and it needs my full attention. Don't take that the wrong way, I just am finding myself falling behind and I need to concentrate more on my work projects. I hope you understand...Thanks!" Be nice and firm about it, don't say anymore after that. She WILL get the hint big time, and if she doesn't, well, let her figure it out on her own. Eventually she has to realize what is what.

kitten chick
well you could always wear ear muffs all year round and nod your head to everything she says

or even better send her a donut thru your mail and then she will be too busy eating to go talk to you

:lmao: I didn't see that post. funny guy.

Your response, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I have alot of work to do in the upcoming weeks and it needs my full attention. Don't take that the wrong way, I just am finding myself falling behind and I need to concentrate more on my work projects. I hope you understand...Thanks!" Be nice and firm about it, don't say anymore after that. She WILL get the hint big time, and if she doesn't, well, let her figure it out on her own. Eventually she has to realize what is what.
My problem is that I don't want to create any rifts in this situation. We work pretty closely and I don't want it to be uncomfortable as well as the fact that I will most likely need recommendations from her since I don't get along with my boss. He yells and curses at all of us like crazy and I wouldn't ask him for anything.
I already do :laugh: She was just over here rambling on about her commute. :rolleyes:

Maybe its time to shove the ear buds in tight and crank the music.. maybe she will get the hint.. ( I doubt it though )

HokeyReligions

Do you ever go to lunch with your coworkers? Or maybe all bring lunch in and sit in a conference room or something? I've got one of those talkers at work too and what I've done is just say something like 'that's great' or 'that's too bad' (depends on what she says) and then say "I've got to get this stuff out today, let's go to lunch tomorrow and talk then" something like that tends to work and it sets a pattern so she's not as intrusive as before and we get along great.

I had a co-worker who hated our boss. So he wore a head set like a telemarketer. When ever she came around he pretended to be talking to a customer. BRILLANT!

kitten chick

Great suggestion Hokey! Why didn't I think of that? :laugh: Thanks ;)

BeFree...good idea but it wouldn't work for me. We're on ISP phones so the screen clearly shows whether the line is active or not.