Is boss obligated to pay for dinners and outing?

Raindrop100

I have a colleague always initiates lunches/dinners/outing and expects the boss to pay for all the expenses. Do you guys think the boss is obligated to pay for all our expenses as such?

In my opinion, the boss can take up the tabs sometimes but not all the times. What do you guys think?

If it's work-related and hence expense-account business, yes, the boss should and must pick up the tab 100% of the time - and pass it on to the company. This would include "team building" lunches. Most companies have a policy saying that the senior employee at any meal must pay the tab - it prevents gaming of the expense reports.

If it's personal socializing and paid for personally, then it is absolutely wrong to expect any one person to always pick up the tab.

justagirliegirl

I had a boss who would initiate lunches and even birthday lunches and everyone was expected to pay for their own, even the person having the birthday. :confused:

I used to intern and have seen neopotism. Well the family boss did pay for the outings. So in nepotism's case, yes boss picks up the tab.

Normally if it is business related, the most senior person or sponsor picks up the tab.