is saying shut up rude?

Well, I know it's rude, but is it incredibly rude? I said it yesterday to a co-worker who I am friendly with outside of work. I was talking to our boss while we were on deadline and the co-worker started talking over top of me about something inconsequential about skiing or something. I said, "Shut up!" and kind of pushed him and he said "You shut the **** up!" and sort of shoved me. (lightly, nothing violent). I just laughed. Then we kept chatting and our boss said, "Shut the **** up" and "shhh!." My co-worker continued to talk so I said, "What part of shhh do you not understand?" and he goes, "Is that from a movie?" and he kept talking. So I like "zippped my lip" and shook my head so he wouldn't talk and he got pissed off and left. I stopped at his house on the way home from work and he was acting kind of pissy. I know this sounds stupid but we are friends and I'd like to stay that way cause he's really a fun guy. (completely platonic)

the whole scene was so completely unprofessional i's not even funny swearing at work talkig over each other ellinge ach other to shut up.

Yeah Witabix! You ya ugly f***er, just shut the hell up!

You wanna watch it mate, I'll smash yer face in.... oh I see someone already did that.

• Author

I know it does sound pretty unprofessional. But it is a newsroom and that is what many of them are like when you're on deadline. Okay, so what's worse talking over a co-worker or telling one to shut up? I'm sorry. I just love to hear feedback.

'shut up' is fine between casual friends or siblings (as long as you both know it's said in a joking manner)

Any other time it's rude. It should never be said to someone who does your job reviews or recommends you for a raise or promotion either...even in jest.

Okay, so what's worse talking over a co-worker or telling one to shut up?

It's very rude to tell someone to shut up. What you do is you say 'may I please finish what I was saying' with the emphasis on 'please'. That gets the message across just fine.

I agree with OC, saying shut up is rude, saying, "Can you wait afew minutes until we're done? Thanks!" By saying shut up, it gets people's backs up. Noone likes to be told that either.

Only person I have ever told to shut up was my sister - But that was when we were younger and fighting alot.

You wanna watch it mate, I'll smash yer face in.... oh I see someone already did that.

You're gonna make me pee my pants, I'm dying laughing here W!

PS: When I was younger, my grandfather used to say to my grandmother, "Shut your yap, woman!" :lmao: Ahhhh, too funny, yet so rude too! (Somehow sadly enough, that mug of yours has made me think of my grandfather! Don't ask as he really didn't look like that!)

Well, I know it's rude, but is it incredibly rude? I said it yesterday to a co-worker who I am friendly with outside of work. I was talking to our boss while we were on deadline and the co-worker started talking over top of me about something inconsequential about skiing or something. I said, "Shut up!" and kind of pushed him and he said "You shut the **** up!" and sort of shoved me. (lightly, nothing violent). I just laughed. Then we kept chatting and our boss said, "Shut the **** up" and "shhh!." My co-worker continued to talk so I said, "What part of shhh do you not understand?" and he goes, "Is that from a movie?" and he kept talking. So I like "zippped my lip" and shook my head so he wouldn't talk and he got pissed off and left. I stopped at his house on the way home from work and he was acting kind of pissy. I know this sounds stupid but we are friends and I'd like to stay that way cause he's really a fun guy. (completely platonic)

In our house we say "please be quite"

For me "shut up" Is a horrible phrase.

I was told "Shut up" so much in my childhood, that if someone says it now, I am really upset.

Since I work in an office setting myself, and I work with several people that I often see outside of work for casual, social, time, I would say that you would never find me saying shut up. At least at work. And if I do ever say it out of work, the context is purely a joking matter. I just find it disrespectful.

Just hold your hand up or raise a finger while raising your eyebrows as if to say, "One moment..." It's the softer, gentler "talk to the hand."

thank you everyone for your input. of course, the whole disagreement has passed and i learned a lesson. joking or not, it's better for me to be polite even if the other person is being rude.

My friends and I always tell each other to shut up. But co-workers, family, new friends, dates I would NEVER. My friends and I are rude to each other out of affection and we get that part as weird as it may be.

Any time I've heard it used in recent years, it's used less to signify "don't talk" and more as just another way of saying "You're joking??!!" to be accompanied with this: :eek:

eg

:eek: then...

"Shut up! I can't believe he said that to you!"

Often followed by this: :lmao:

I think it all depends on how it was said and how it was meant. I've told countless people to shut up coutless times but it was in a joking manner and both of us knew it. If it's meant literally than yeah I think it is rude. I guess this post is pointless since the problem is already over, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Sounds to me he took the joke too seriously. Maybe apologise to him if you feel thats best thing to do so, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think he would hold this against you, if he does it is a little silly ;)