Sharing Relationship Issues with Boss

Context: My current boss was also my previous boss, I've worked for her for about 4 years. She poached me away with a better offer after she left our previous company. She's been great about training me and developing me for the field we're in. She's married with no kids, probably 20-25 years older than me so I think she has a certain maternal perspective with me. I would consider her a friend.

I recently told her about my breakup, and she said something very strange. That she thinks me and a coworker of mine (who lives with her boyfriend) would be cute together. I brushed it off and joked that I heard nothing, but it was definitely a strange comment.

I do trust her to keep what I told her private, it was just a strange conversation after she made that comment.

Should I think anything of it?

There's no reason to suspect she'll go telling the office about your breakup. And the comment wasn't particularly strange....haven't you ever thought two people would be a good match?

I think it's OK. Going forward be more circumspect about what you tell co-workers.

I would consider her a friend.

Just understand that circumstances arise where she has to choose between being a friend and being your boss. Noting personal, it's just business.

You might want to keep the relationship within that context...

Mr. Lucky

I don't think there was anything strange in her mentioning her boyfriend's roommate, you were discussing your personal business with her, she wasn't bringing it up out of the blue. Unless she's given you some reason not to trust her discretion, I wouldn't worry about her talking about your personal business to others.

But the awkwardness you're feeling is why it's generally not a good idea to be friends and discuss personal business with someone who has supervisory power over you. You can be friendly and discuss general life topics without going into any depth, but going beyond that I don't think is a good idea.