International secondment v Career Progression

Hi All.

I moved to the USA on a secondment from the UK in February.

I have been a manager for 2.5 years and was aiming for promotion to senior manager this year. The opportunity for a USA international secondment came up and I had to take the chance for this.

However, in the US they have me at a grade equivilant of a new manager and failed to move me up a grade at end of year despite guarantees they would.

I am now in a position where I feel my experience is undervalued and I am being given work that just isn't growing me at all or helping my development.

I am quite concerned I am now falling behind in my career.

One of the options may be to cancel the secondment however that would cost me as I would need to repay a lot of transfer costs.

Any advice on where I should go from here?

Feel a bit trapped and undervalued.

Can you speak to the employers and get clarity as to why you have been left at the same grade,

How are you finding the move otherwise, are you enjoying living in your new surroundings, it may not be exclusively a career decision.

the International experience may be good to have on your resume at any rate.

• Author

Thaks for your response Foxhall.

One of the bosses asked me to send him an email about how the situation came about and he would set up a meeting with HR to try and resolve. So I will need to wait at least for that meeting.

The experience is great so far so I am getting personal gain from it. Although this wasn't the primary purpose and it was all for career benefits which don't seem to be happening.

It should look good on the CV but nervous I will be falling behind peers on a technicality which doesn't make sense for me. Effectively they have scrubbed 2 years from my career.

Hmmn I suppose the obvious one is that the Yanks may not take kindly to a Brit or indeed any overseas person coming over and progressing up the ladder too quickly,

perhaps some of our American friends will come in on this one give us more insight