LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Employee too concerned with what i am doing and they report to me. Help!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2019, 8:37 AM   #46
Established Member

We've been over this. Because you were promoted from within you are not getting respect.

If this is going to get fixed you have to fix it. I'd tell your boss that you feel the other employees are being insubordinate because they haven't accepted your authority & that you are going to speak to them.

Then I would call a meeting & lay down the law. Put it all out there.
"I'm now the boss & you will treat me with respect due to the confidence the company put in me. I will no longer tolerate insubordination. If you don't like & respect my authority, there is the door. If you continue to waste company time gossiping or speculating about my job rather than doing yours, there will be consequences. Are we clear?"
You have to be the Boss. You are no longer their friend.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 12:54 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
We've been over this. Because you were promoted from within you are not getting respect.
Spot on, though I'll also add you're not modeling effective leadership.

What you describe is just like high school all over again - cliques, gossip and rumors. And now as then, the more attention you pay to it the more credence it gets. "It must be true, right? missingu was so upset over it she spent the morning in her boss's office talking about it". Lather, rinse, repeat...

Simply focus on doing your job and, as d0nnivain said, requiring them to do theirs. Avoid the water cooler, break room and any non-task related discussion. If their performance doesn't improve, terminate one of them, the others will get the message.

Stay above the fray and the issue will go away...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 4:09 PM   #48
Established Member

They're undermining you. I had one who tried popping into my office for just about the same reason and I put a lock on the door and got rid of her as soon as I had something actionable on her.

It is never a good idea to take a managerial job unless you have hire/fire authority. Just in the future, make that a condition of taking a position.

If you're not acting like a boss, you need to start. You will not be their friend anymore, so don't even try. Boss them around and if they sneak around seeing what you're doing, tell the person, Don't you have anything better to do? Do I need to assign you more work?
Old 20th February 2019, 5:19 PM   #49
S2B
Established Member

Keep them so busy they donít have time to see what you may be doing.

When Iím busy... I am not concerned with others work - I am just busy getting my work done. If needed give them twice the work they have now - they obviously havetoo much free time to be nosy.

If they canít keep up - let them go.
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 5:28 PM   #50
Established Member

We have managers who used to be on our level here too. One in particular is not well respected. Why? Because she uses work time to travel to and from work, she takes extra long morning tea and lunch breaks, and she spends at least an hour wandering around gossiping with everyone. Are you doing anything like this missingu?
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 1:18 AM   #51
Established Member

I am always on time, I do all overtime required unless I have something on which is barely ever. I just do my job. I don't gossip, I don't favour anyone, I'm never on my phone unless it's business related, I am willing to help out if I can see my workers are swamped.

It just seems no matter what I do in some people's eyes isn't good enough. Im not here to impress them or be their friend and I am here to get the job done and they don't like it when I call them out for doing the wrong thing.

At least all of my bosses are happy.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 10:37 AM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingu View Post
It just seems no matter what I do in some people's eyes isn't good enough.
Why do you care?

I manage a large group of people, I'm sure there's some might give my fairly direct style a less than glowing review. But it's about having your team produce results (within reason) to the benefit of the organization. If you're confident you're treating folks fairly and your boss is happy, let the rest of this "Susie doesn't like me" stuff go...

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote