Is it normal for a company to reward employees with food all the time?

Highroller107

My company rewards us with food all the time, it’s pathetic. It’s either pizza, lunch is on us, cake day, candy bars, and every Christmas, they give us some chocolate bar. Geez. What is it with food? Bagels, donuts, cookies! My god. Like what the heck is that going to do? Make me get fat butt that’s all. I would like to get raffle tickets, sporting event tickets , gift cards, gas cards, gym memberships. We are a health care company for god sakes. Free food to Burger King isn’t going to make me happy. I’m thinking they have no idea how to professional run a company .

GorillaTheater

I don't know that it's terribly unusual and certainly not unprofessional, per se, more of a matter of corporate culture. And even though I have kids in college now, I guess I still have a starving college student mentality: free food? I'm all over it! (But maybe not Burger King, I think I'm with you on that point).

• Like 1
<snip> It’s either pizza, lunch is on us, cake day, candy bars, and every Christmas, they give us some chocolate bar. Geez. What is it with food? Bagels, donuts, cookies! <snip>

Have you considered mentioning, to the proper department, in a professional manner, how what they're doing is out of alignment with the company's health care brand?

It could be that they need someone with your broader perspective to help them see the need to make changes in this area.

(Though, of course, 'sporting event tickets , gift cards, gas cards, gym memberships' cost one heckuvva lot more than donuts and pizza...so I'd probably not mention that; just healthier snack foods. :).)

• Like 1

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be glad you are given anything at all. Many places don't treat their staff well at all.

If you don't want the goodies then just say no thanks.

• Like 3

They are trying to offer employees rewards and stay within a budget.

Catered lunch or such is an inexpensive way to do that.

Be grateful they do anything...it isn’t mandatory.

• Like 3

It's a kind thing to do for their employees who don't make a lot of money, plus sometimes snacking actually does keep someone focused on their work. One place I worked always had the peanut butter pretzels and Ramen soup. Some people really appreciate that. I was on a diet, but I mean, that's up to me to stay on it, not them. It was nice to have a little treat once in awhile.

The company now, they don't supply food, but different people, including me, bring in donuts. It makes everyone happy.

Of course, it's typical to be fed by clients if you're in certain positions in a company, good food.

There's nothing wrong with it. No one is forcing you to eat it. I think any mention of it negatively would be hugely frowned upon, and justly so.

• Like 1
My company rewards us with food all the time, it’s pathetic. Like what the heck is that going to do? Make me get fat butt that’s all. I would like to get raffle tickets, sporting event tickets , gift cards, gas cards, gym memberships. We are a health care company for god sakes. I’m thinking they have no idea how to professional run a company .

That’s thinking way to far bro. Company’s reward you with food because they appreciate the work you do for them (: it’s also a way of motivation.

The company that I work for don’t reward us like that but they invite us out for drinks or to a restaurant with the team. Don’t think to much about it :D

Also you don’t have to take the food they give you but that would not be nice (:

The things you want as rewards are very expensive compared to what their budget is. Perhaps giving you fruit would fit their budget and your expectation of a healthy reward. Not sure how much your workmates would thank you though....