How to stay calm and focused when it's rush our at work?

Hey!

If you're reading and you don't understand just let me know :) It might be because of the language difference from Norwegian to English.

Yesterday was a mess! A hell a lot of customers. I usually work on mondays and tuesdays but when it's weekend and the sales going on... yeah you know I didn't have a breathing room at work.

I work in a store that is a grocery store but kind of not? We have the same products that a normal grocery store have, but only difference is that we make food such as hot dogs and croissants. Not to forget customers can play lotto and rikstoto in Norwegian. Which are horses that compete.

So since there is a lot of customers I have a habit of stressing. When I do stress I do all sorts of things. I put the receipt elsewhere that is not in the trash as an example. Not only that but I don't think clearly and I'm unsure of things a lot.

There was this situation where a customer wanted to play rikstoto (The horse thing where they compete) and I was stressing at that point to where I had to ask my colleague stupid questions like "Is that the right button to click on?" or sometime I ask "Is this the right way?" my colleagues laugh at me but I don't really care. She can think whatever she wants and I can't change that.

Normally I would not ask questions like "Is that right way to do it" it's just me not thinking clearly. But I have to stop because in the long run it would piss off the colleague hahah or that they think I'm handicap

I try to breathe in and out, but when I do the customer thinks I'm rude for being not patient.

Does anyone have advice on how to stay calm and focused?

Edited by Tagalz

You need to get into the habit of meditating before work. Learn about a concept called mindfulness. When the # of customers increase & you feel stressed, take a deep breath & slow down. That sounds counter intuitive because you think you have to go faster. No you have to get it right the 1st time. Losing receipts & making mistakes slows the process. So take a deep breath & quickly run through the steps in your head. Then execute. Plaster a smile on your face & the customers will be just fine. They have eyes. They can see that it's busy.