Asking definitions during job interviews

I have over 20 years experience in my field and can do the job using many different methodogies however; since there are so many different terms and methodogies, I do not know them all but can definitely do the work no matter what that person or company is calling it. I also update my training every few years to stay on top of quite a bit of it. However; in the past couple of years, I’ve went to 4 job interviews where I was describing what I did and the interviewer just blantely asks or interrupts me to ask me a definition? What the heck is that? If I get it wrong then I’m completely discredited regardless if I’ve successfully completed that task under a different name.

Today I was in an interview with a rude old man. I said that I had experience with a skill and he seriously interrupted me and asked me to give him a definition. Apparently he didn’t like my answer as he frowned, gave another panelist a look and crossed his arms. He was finished with the interview after that. The funny thing is, his company has never used the methodology he was asking about and never has plans too. In all honesty, I was quite disgusted and angry at him for sabatoging my interview that way especially since he is quitting anyway. I would like to avoid that happening to me in the future. How can I avoid being asked to answer definitions and have these jerks focus on what I’ve done to bring value to the organizations I work for and the value I can add to their company? Knowing definitions does not really show what kind of work someone can accomplish. It’s not like they can learn them on the job anyway.

Happy Lemming

I don't know if this applies, but I always tried to have "canned" answers to questions, when interviewed. Already rehearsed answers to some of those "describe your weaknesses" type questions.

Can you research all the possibilities for these definitions?? Like term "ABC" is similar to something I call "DEF", and give a canned answer??

I also hate group interviews, if I've taken the time to send in my resume', talk to you on the phone to schedule the interview, burned my gasoline to get there, paid for parking (sometimes), and put on a clean suit; the least the interviewer can do is a one on one interview with me (only). I've walked out of group interviews where there are several candidates answering questions in a round table format.

How can I avoid being asked to answer definitions and have these jerks focus on what I’ve done to bring value to the organizations I work for and the value I can add to their company?

Short answer - you can't. An interview is no different than any other personal interaction, either you click with the person(s) involved or you don't. And while, as Mr. Lemming points out, there are strategies you can use to increase your chances of success, there's no guarantees.

All you can do is make sure the odds are in your favor. Be prepared, avoid obvious mistakes or breaches of etiquette, smile and make eye contact. With persistence, the right jobs tend to find the right people...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
Simple Logic

They don’t want a definition, they want an explanation. This is the part of the interview when you can explain how you know the your stuff or blowing smoke.

Eternal Sunshine

I was sometimes asked for definitions of some basic technical terms during my interviews. It was always a test to see the depth of my technical understanding. Maybe that's what they were after?

You've gotten some good responses so far.

OP, it's clear that this is going to be a question that you should expect to answer in any interview you have so far. Maybe there's a reason that they ask for definitions. I don't know what field you're in, but in mine, there are buzzwords and key terms that people toss about, and it's fair to assume that they understand the definitions -- until you realize that they absolutely do not. The old man crossing his arms was unfortunately not convinced that you understood the term as he understood it.

One way to prepare for a definition question is to think very carefully about the language and examples you intend to use in an interview. Which terms or key phrases are you going to use to sell your skills and abilities? What's the inside 'language' of your field? What's the jargon? Think about these key words and phrases, and then find a reputable source and go with their definition. If you want to stand out, then say "I'd agree with so and so's definition, but to put it in my terms, I'd say it's...."

Prepare, prepare, prepare for the meeting. I'm not saying you don't prepare, but really research the company, the team you'll be working with, the work they do, and so forth. A lot of people -- especially experienced people -- show up in an interview with the attitude of "Hey, I've been doing this for 25 years - I got this." Again, not saying it's you, but I've seen it. My wife can sometimes lock herself in a room and spend a day or two preparing for an interview, knowing they might reject her right off the bat. I don't quite go to that extreme, but I usually prepare for hours beforehand.