What is a salary requirement?

I applied to a job but I don't have much experience when it comes to applying for jobs because I have not done it much. This is my first real job and it was not that hard to get it but the one that I am applying to is. They are a well known law firm. They asked for my salary requirements. What in the world is that? Do I have to include it in my resume? Help please.

I include it in a cover letter when asked. It's basically how much you will work for ($20,000 or 40,000 --you catch my drift).

• Author

What should I put? "I am seeking a job that pays $30,000" or something else?

Maybe what you are currently making, or a little more if you wish. But if you put an amount too high, they can write you off.

• Author

but how should I put it? Just say "I am making ******* a year"?

soccorsilly

If they specifically ask for it you better include it or they won't look at the resume.

It is what you want to earn. Do you know what others in the position earn? See if you can find out what they paid the person you are replacnig.

This is tricky because you need to be fairly realistic. If the range of salary is between 40K and 60K anf you put 80K hoping for the big bucks, they will toss it out. If you put 35K they may also toss it out fearing that you are either unsure or underqualified.

Put in a reasonable number and NEVER talk turkey in the first interview unless they bring it up. Salary is the last negotiating straw in the hiring process and it has a lot more leeway than you would thinkg. Sell yourself first. Once they want you (as do most of the red blooded males on LS), that is your time to toy with the $$$.

When you get there, just be sure to keep an open mind as to what has value. Live in a city--parking. Will they pay full boat for health insurance? WIll they pay for any kids or a hubby's insurance? Can you get two weeks of vacation immediately versus waiting a year? An expense account? There are all sorts of games to be played and if you can lower your taxable earnings, less $$$ for uncle sam.

soccorsilly

I would put in

on the resume (not the cover letter)

Salary Requirement: $30,000 to $40,000

do not put in Negotiable as they want to know if you are in the same chapter or the same page.

I would use the lower amount to be what you are making now--no one goes to work for less--unless the industry standard is higher than what you are making.

Do some research and find out what people at other law firms, at your skill level, are generally making, compare it to what you would like to make, and then base your estimations of salary around that figure. The last thing you want to find out, is that you sold yourself short.

Unless of course money means little to you, then, just pick a number and see what they say.

• Author
Originally posted by soccorsilly

If they specifically ask for it you better include it or they won't look at the resume.

It is what you want to earn. Do you know what others in the position earn? See if you can find out what they paid the person you are replacnig.

Well the ad said they will pay 32,500 to 40,000.00 so I am unsure of what to put and how to put it.

Once they want you (as do most of the red blooded males on LS), that is your time to toy with the $$$.

Oh you are such a flirt Soccorsilly :love: I like it :D

• Author

I would put in

on the resume (not the cover letter)

Salary Requirement: $30,000 to $40,000

do not put in Negotiable as they want to know if you are in the same chapter or the same page.

I would use the lower amount to be what you are making now--no one goes to work for less--unless the industry standard is higher than what you are making.

Okay cool! Thanks ;) Do I put it in my cover letter? If so what part of the CL?

soccorsilly

I would go with it on the resume

just before the line

REFERENCES FURNISHED UPON REQUEST

Either formatted (dependiong on your style)

Salary requirements: $35,000

or

Desired salary $35,000

No decimals and no cents.

Now again that number will change. If $35K is a raise for you and you are happy with it, you are on the lower end and more attractive from a salary POV. If you are currently making $35K I might go in the $37,500 to $38,500 range. Shoot for a 10% increas in current salary

NEVER talk turkey in the first interview unless they bring it up. Salary is the last negotiating straw in the hiring process and it has a lot more leeway than you would thinkg. Sell yourself first.

May be tacky but....I talk salary on the phone, BEFORE my interview. I don't want to waste my time -- and theirs if they're not willing to pay me anything close to what I'm making. Most people appreciate that. I weed out lots of potential employers. And I don't have tons of time to waste interviewing, taking time off work.

Also, if they are willing to pay $40,000.00 and you put down $35,000.00 you've just screwed yourself IMO. It's almost like you gotta be a friggin mind reader. Too high, you're screwed, too low and they're the one's screwing YOU.

I've been putting mine on my cover sheet which is where they asked me to include the info.

It's such an ugly game.

• Author

Okay thanks everyone, that's why I love you guys :love: LoveShack to the rescue :cool:

curiousnycgirl

I would put your requirements, or at least address this issue, in the cover letter. Personally I would never quote an exact number this early in the game.

I would simply say that my target salary is consistent with the range they listed, but at this point in my career I am more interested in a position that will allow me to grow within my career path, challenge me, blah, blah, blah.

Hope it helps.

• Author
Originally posted by curiousnycgirl

I would put your requirements, or at least address this issue, in the cover letter. Personally I would never quote an exact number this early in the game.

I would simply say that my target salary is consistent with the range they listed, but at this point in my career I am more interested in a position that will allow me to grow within my career path, challenge me, blah, blah, blah.

Hope it helps.

Hey that sounds pretty good :)

Salary requirements should be included in your cover letter at the bottom before the closing. You should state a range and have the high end of the range consistent with any salary advertised for that position. Don't assume that because you put $35,000 as a salary requirement on your cover letter that you won't be able to make more than that. It's really just to let those processing these resumes know that you are interested in the job if it pays at a minimum $35,000, but you should always negotiate the salary after you interview and obtain more information as to what the job consists of.

Your salary history is the history of what your previous jobs have paid you. If it was based on hourly then you provide the hourly rate for those jobs. If it was based on salary then you provide your ending salary - that is what you were making when you quit the job.

I wouldn't include this on your resume. Generally, this information is included on the application and in most places you will interview first, they would select you, you would fill out an application, submit references and agree to any background checks they conduct.

I'm the first person to review resumes at my job and I'll tell you what reflects poorly:

[*]Bad format - Mixed bullet point types, different fonts, margins misaligned,misspellings, etc.

[*]Missing dates - Dates should be provided for time of service at every position listed on the resume.

[*]Lack of detail - Long paragraphs when information should be concise. Bullet points preferred.

[*]Missing technology - Computer experience, applications, office equipment.

[/list=1]

• Author

Thanks Pocky. The bad thing is that I did send in a resume with different bullets :o

By the way, should the Salary History be a seperate document?

Originally posted by ~Naive~

Thanks Pocky. The bad thing is that I did send in a resume with different bullets :o

By the way, should the Salary History be a seperate document?

As long as your bullet types match per tier it's okay, but you don't want different bullet points if you only have one set. They should all match.

Your salary history will more than likely be included on the application when you're requested to fill it in and submit it. You shouldn't have a separate document with your salary history. If they're asking salary history then they're interested in hiring you and it's acceptable to request additional information- generally in way of an application.

Great information Pocky, thanks.

I find the most unappealing flaw are those where things are misspelled. On a resume, that stuff is vital!

What sucks too is that sometimes if you copy and paste into an email (instead of sending an attachment) it can oftentimes change the format. SUCKS!