Any tips on managing someone who wants your job?

Eternal Sunshine

I have someone in my team who wants to move up the career ladder as soon as possible. He has the typical "manager" personality: confident, loud and strategic. I am quieter but at the same time, I don't think someone needs to be the loudest person in the room to be an effective manager.

I enjoy being in the managing position and also want to move up and this largely depends on the performance of my team (including this guy). I want him to do his best work and am not interested in any manipulative or underhanded strategies to "sabotage" him.

Any advice?

Why would you sabotage him?

Look at it as a compliment - you’ve made the position look desirable. Having someone ready to take your place is also an element in advancing. There’s some opportunity here...

Mr. Lucky

Is there any lateral position you might recommend him for due to his self-alleged leadership qualities to get him out of your hair? Let him climb over someone else.

The way I got rid of a (not like yours) unqualified undeserving climber I hired is first telling her the truth, that it takes years to make more money in what we were doing, and then letting her stuff her foot in her mouth and leak that she knew how much my supervisor made and resented it. I guess I got lucky because I was able to let that be his problem and he fired her.

So I'm not saying sabotage. If you can laterally move him, do that. But people like that are often trying to sabotage and step over you, so keep your eyes open and don't miss any opportunities.

Did you have a talk with this person or are you just suspecting they want your job? Or do they just want to move up?