I'd be crazy not to right?

I got a message on LinkedIn from a former co-worker earlier this month letting me know that the company he is working for is hiring for positions similar to my field.

I submitted my resume, even though I haven't been really looking around, I haven't been the happiest in my current position for awhile.

On Friday I had an interview that went very well, in fact the person I spoke with said I was one of the best interviews he had conducted in awhile and said he definitely wants to put me front of the rest of the team for interviews (and I recieved an email about an hour post interview asking for my availability), asked my salary range, etc.

The position is for a role that I've been wanting to move into for some time now, is at a reputable company, and would give me the opportunity to work directly with clients, still use my technical skills, and I would still be a remote employee. The salary range would be between 20-30k more than I'm making now.

The cons -

1. There would be some travel expected, about 25%. Normally that wouldn't be so bad, but my husband has recently taken on truck driving for a profession and he will rarely be home. I have family nearby who have said they would help out with the kids during the times that I travel, but I also hate to put that on them as they have a baby. The good thing is that my children are older, so they don't require too much except they are not old enough to stay alone at night, or get themselves to and from school.

2. I have been at my current company for 11 years, I feel quite a bit of loyalty to my team and so I feel bad even considering another job. (even though I've felt stagnant and like I've gone as far as I can go here)

I guess I'm just looking for people to agree that I would be crazy NOT to pursue this right? And what kind of solutions might you have for the travel stuff (I wouldn't be able to get out of it with this position)

I guess I'm just looking for people to agree that I would be crazy NOT to pursue this right? And what kind of solutions might you have for the travel stuff (I wouldn't be able to get out of it with this position)

Boy, that's a tough one.

Do you have any feel for your husband's schedule? Any flexibility in your travel dates so they could be opposite his?

With kids at home, having both Mom and Dad gone 25% of the time is tough, regardless of the help you get. This really is a very personal lifestyle vs career decision...

Mr. Lucky

Eternal Sunshine

I don’t really see this as being realistic. It’s really unfair to the kids or your family that you will ask to take care of them. Unfortunately, you will need to forget your career aspirations for now.

• Author

Both my kids want me to get this job. I have asked them their thoughts on the travel, and they both have said that as long as I'm not gone as much as their dad is (who is gone currently about 80%, they are fine with me doing this and want me to pursue.

And my sister in law has all but insisted that I pursue. I have watched her baby almost daily for the last year (since he was born) and she wants to now help with my kids.

Realistically, 25% is about a week a month (and not always all at once, it could be a day here, 2 days there, etc.

One thing I have proposed is to my Mother in Law. She is currently working a labor intesive retail job in a stock room. Her arthitis is killing her and she hates it. I have asked her if she would be interested in quitting her job and being available for when I need someone to stay with the kids. And I would pay her what she is currently making at her job. So she doesn't lose her income, she gets out of her painful job, and gets to hang with her grandkids. I'm hoping she says yes should I get the job.

Have you thought about using this offer as a way to get a better wage and situation on your current job ?

For example... if you tell your employer that you are entertaining an offer and it comes with a 30% wage increase and used your abilities better so as to not feel stagnant and see if they can make an offer to keep you ... you of course wouldn't tell them the new offer includes travel but frame it as to give them a shot at keeping you.

I agree that it's tough personal decision and think that it's a lot of time to be away from the kids but money and happiness in your work can be quite the pull as well...

BTW, it is great offer and I think most would consider it... also if you decide to use it to get a better offer at your current job don't do that until there is a formal offer in writing in front of you from the new company.

Make a pros & cons list.

Somebody above was very upset that you would be missing time with your kids & expecting others to step in as caregivers. I think that is an OK trade off but what either of us think isn't the issue. It has to be about what's most important to you and your family.

It sounds like you have the needed family support. Best wishes whatever you chose.

It all hinges on the travel. I hate business travel, and all I had was a dog. I was told it was not much travel like once a month, but that wasn't true at all and I eventually quit because of broken promises. The good thing is your friend works there, so you can find out if they're true to their word. IMO, 25% travel is still a lot of travel. Since you're a remote employee (does that mean you work at home?) then maybe two days a week travel wouldn't be that bad. A lot also depends on if there's a whole lot of work, because my main problem with travel is it left me NO time to take care of my work without being there all hours because I wasn't there to do it. Also, I hate flying, so that would be a factor if it were me. If I was able to take a rapid train and maybe work on the train, then that would be better. If I had to be up at 4 to get through the security at the airport to get to the next town and then not get home until that night, that would be a problem for me.

So just think it through. If you've never traveled for work before, just know that it is exhausting and time-consuming. If you have and you liked it, then go for it.

• Author
It all hinges on the travel. I hate business travel, and all I had was a dog. I was told it was not much travel like once a month, but that wasn't true at all and I eventually quit because of broken promises. The good thing is your friend works there, so you can find out if they're true to their word. IMO, 25% travel is still a lot of travel. Since you're a remote employee (does that mean you work at home?) then maybe two days a week travel wouldn't be that bad. A lot also depends on if there's a whole lot of work, because my main problem with travel is it left me NO time to take care of my work without being there all hours because I wasn't there to do it. Also, I hate flying, so that would be a factor if it were me. If I was able to take a rapid train and maybe work on the train, then that would be better. If I had to be up at 4 to get through the security at the airport to get to the next town and then not get home until that night, that would be a problem for me.

So just think it through. If you've never traveled for work before, just know that it is exhausting and time-consuming. If you have and you liked it, then go for it.

Good idea to ask my former co worker, he is in a different position, so it might be different for him. But my interviews this week will be with Sr. level (prior was director level) so I intend to ask them what their thoughts are on how much actual travel there is.

I have had to travel for work before, though this will be the most I've been expected to. I would be a remote employee outside of the travel stuff (working from home) so outside of the days I might have to travel, I would be home 24/7. Also, my kids only go to school 4 days a week, so if at all possible I would avoid travel on Friday's so that I could spend a three day "weekend" at home with them as much as I could.

• Like 1

The travel is definitely something to think about. Are your family members ok with possibly having to stay overnight with your kids on a regular basis? If so, that's fine, but it does take a toll on everyone involved - yourself, your sister in law, your mother in law. For example my parents watch my daughter 3 days/week for 2 hours/day after school, but I can't imagine asking them to watch my daughter overnight every/every other week, then getting her ready for school, feeding her breakfast, putting her on the bus, then feeding her dinner, taking her to activities, etc. Of course, my parents are a lot older, in their 70s, so it might be different in your case. :-)

I would think that kids of any age would like one of their parents around more. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that 25% travel usually means more, like 40%. It's also usually an average too and I think you have to expect at times being gone the majority of two weeks in a row and then home for a week or two. For those 2 weeks it might be 100% travel.

Not many companies will post a true number because it scares people off. Even still, 1 week a month spread over the month can mean 2 days of travel each week which makes it more stressful and more to co-ordinate.

I think if you are ok with travel that may swing either way, it sounds good, but ask your friend for the real deal and how much he or others actually do travel.