I had the worst interview this week. Well, maybe not the worst. It was the first of this round of job-search, and I haven't done this for years, so I'm really rusty.

And I had a bad cold with fever and headache, so I was really foggy while being grilled by three lovely boss-people. That was fun. (Not.) Normally I would have done okay, but the cold bit me in the behind.

Guess I have to get out there and do a lot of this so that it doesn't run me through the wringer. I have =so= much to offer, and I didn't sell myself well at all.

Anyone have tips or experience?

HokeyReligions

Practice Practice Practice

I've been searching for a new job since May 2003. I have a few contract/project positions and just left my last one yesterday. There is some good informatin on the job-search sites with sample interview questions. Print them out and think about your answers. KNOW your strengths. Know how to turn your weaknesses into strengths. For example, one of my weaknesses is that I tend to over-organize things at first until I'm comfortable and know the who, what, when, where of a new position. I can present that as a weakness, but in a way that makes it also a strength. Have someone pretend to interview you and ask you some difficult questions so that you can answer them and that person can give you some feedback; or tape yourself and watch it back so you can find where you need improvement. If you have samples of your work - bring them and use them. Keep your resume in front of you so that you can refer to it during the interview and stay on target. Research the company beforehand and have a list of your own questions. Ask for a job description and go over it carefully. When you are introduced look 'em in the eye and say Hello [name] I'm very glad to meet you. shake their hands and thank them for taking time to talk with you and get a business card before you leave.

They say looking for a job is the hardest job there is and I think thats pretty accurate! Good luck! (& take care of that cold!)

I haven't done this for years

several years ago, I was talking to my co-worker's mom about how her other daughter's job search was going, and she said that Kim told her she felt awkward about doing interviews because it had been about 10 years since she'd done that. Mom suggested Kim tell them that in the interview, that because she'd been gainfully employed all that time, she felt rusty doing interviews. Must not have hurt, because Kim got the job she wanted! :)

I say just keep your sanity by remembering these people you're talking with probably hate having to do interviews, too, but it's a necessary evil. Make them and yourself at ease by trying to enjoy the conversation you're having with them. Show a personal interest in the company, and turn things around so that you're interviewing them, too. If you've got experience in an area that they're just now looking into, ask them how they plan to get that up and running, or how they feel their company benefits their target audience. That kinda shows them that you're thinking outside the box.

best of luck with the interviews, and hope you get to feeling better soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks guys! Self-marketing is my true weakest point ... no idea how to twist =that= into a strength!

I'm feeling better physically, and this week am going to put together the rest of the papers, references etc. they wanted from me. Not sure if that'll get me to the second round ... or if I'd want the job even if I got it.

One step at a time though!

HokeyReligions

Just remember that when you are introduced, shake their hand, say its nice to me you [name] (its good to repeat their name because it shows you are listening and it helps you to remember it even though you are nervous--its especially good in panel interviews) and at the end of the interview shake their hand(s) again and thank them for taking the time to meet with you. Get business cards so that you can do a follow-up letter.

You can usually get background information from the company website and if you have questions that you want to ask (you should always have some questions) have a list that you bring with you. Take notes during the interview too and ask questions then.

Smile and look them in the eyes. :)

• Author

Thanks Hokey. I think I've got the handshake and eye contact down pat, and I had solid questions about the company.

It was what you mentioned before about concrete project examples where I screwed up. This was an exhaustion thing - I ran out of steam while preparing.

The follow-up letter is pretty much North American, I think - I have a chance to do that now b/c I have to submit the background papers they want. But if I do get a second interview, the thank-you follow-up letter we consider standard in the U.S. just wouldn't fly here. (Except maybe to the marketing boss, who's worked in the U.S.)

Right now I'm feeling pretty depressed about the whole thing - I have to call my old boss in the U.S. to let him know I'm listing him as a reference and giving them his phone number, and this brings up all kinds of old self-hatred issues. Too bad that for me, work isn't just work. Still working on getting freedom there ...

Thanks again for the reminders and for the key tips on what I did get right. You know, it could be that the basics I -did- cover made a positive impression.