Caught my Senior Manager Stealing

Well this has been a dreadful three weeks of keeping quiet whilst an investigation takes place.

As a witness, I have had to lie to my manager and all staff to maintain the individuals reputation and cope alone with what I know.

As expected, the Senior manager, having been given the opportunity to explain any innocent reasons for claiming non existent expenses, wages for days not worked, and finally my statement of him walking stock out of the building blatantly, has resulted in him resigning before being sacked for Gross Misconduct. Fortunately I obtained DVD copies of the cctv to back up my statement as he duly destroyed the cctv unit the next day.

We are awaiting a confirmation of his 'resignation in haste' Of course once this is done, officially an announcement will be made to the business and managers/ staff and off he goes. No criminal proceedings will happen, but he has effectively lost his job and I've had to Lie to assist in this process to protect his reputation and the investigation process.

A young man with two children and a promising career. Why?

I never thought corporate theft could be felt so personally.. I have been sad, angry, sick, unable to eat, feel alone with no-one to talk to.. Guess that's why I'm posting. Today I see he has set up a fake business which looks like he has either lost the plot or is trying to draw me out.. I won't be drawn, but people are talking and asking questions..

Just need to keep quiet for another week and then I can tell the truth to everyone...

Never been in this position before and feel so frustrated. A person of such senior position thought he could get away with it.. thousands of pounds of stock & cash over probably 2yrs..

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

:(

I was the Asst GM at a large hotel where it eventually became evident that the GM and his wife (she was the Catering Director) had stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars in banquet proceeds. Like you, I was stuck in the middle as embezzlement charges were filed, insurance claims were made and reputations were destroyed.

It is indeed frustrating. Because he and I were close, the initial assumption was that I was part of the scam. Then, as things unraveled, he tried to fire me since I wouldn't "support" him. It was stressful and joyless, seeing how dumb and greedy people could be.

So I feel you pain, tough position to be in. Hold your head up, focus on the job at hand and avoid office gossip. This too shall pass...

Mr. Lucky

Many years ago, I worked as a Controller for a small "family" business. The owner had employed his two "loser" younger brothers, who couldn't get jobs in the real world.

At some point, I discovered one of the brothers was doing something unethical. At the time, it was not illegal but I think the law has since changed. Either way it was unethical and basically bad business.

I wrangled with the idea of telling the owner or not. After losing a few nights sleep, I told myself this job isn't worth sacrificing my reputation in the industry. So the next day, I gathered my documentation and went into the owner's office and shut the door. I told him that this was one of the hardest things I ever had to do in my career, but I explained everything and presented my documentation to the owner. At the end of my presentation, I asked the owner what type of business did he want to be known for... an ethical one or not. He then asked me to leave all my documentation and leave his office and shut the door.

When the brother strolled into work, he was immediately called to the owner's office. I had already cleaned all of my personal effects out of my desk and put them in my car, prepared to be fired, as I had gotten in between two brothers.

Soon there was yelling and hollering, it went on and on and on, my stomach twisted in knots, then all was quiet. The brother then exited the office and slammed the door on his way out. The owner gathered the remainder of the staff together in the conference room and told everyone that he had let his brother go and the brother was no longer employed there... The owner had fired his own brother.

From that day forward I never questioned myself about ethics and always did the right thing.

I never wanted anything from a company other than my paycheck at the end of the week. That is what separates us from the "unethical" crowd and why we don't do the actions that your Senior Manager did.

• Like 1

There are people in this world that are dishonest. Unfortunately you just got to deal with one.

It'll pass and you'll be better and wiser for it.

Take care.

No, I've not witnessed it. The supervisor of my supervisor at one company had been fired from his prior job for stealing. It was weird because everyone knew about it, but he got hired anyway. That's why it's always dicey -- like what if his supervisor over him was doing it too and then if you said something, they'd both just want you out of there. In this case, it seemed like the guy was only under the supervision of the owner, at least at first. The weird thing is he was real touchy about it. he'd be paranoid you were acting weird because of it and bring it up. Awkward.

PhillyLibertyBelle

Unless you are told to “tell the truth to everyone “ keep it all confidential or you will be known as a whistleblower, a blabber mouth and someone indiscreet.

You did the right thing the person will face consequences, don’t throw your reputation down the pan

If you’re in management, you should never reveal that information. Yeah, it’s stunning what some people do but that’s the way it is. Most of the time, people in non-management positions never know the truth about what goes on behind the scenes. Also, unless you want to become known as someone who can’t keep confidential info confidential, then don’t talk about this to your colleagues, even after the dust settles.

• Like 1