Incentives & Profit Sharing

I was contacted for a job that offers commission based on collections (I do Insurance and Patient Billing). It didn't pay enough ($6 less per hour, even though I'd get commissions), so I turned it down. Plus with month and quarter end being here, it really got me thinking.

I work my ass off to get my doc the money he deserves. I have taken his practice and allowed it to profit 3x as much as it was making when I started some seven years or so ago (with proven track record). It was a lost little office, it has flourished to one money making machine.

He makes enough money in one month to pay my salary for the year TWICE. I think it's great he's in the money, but I'm thinking about asking for commission. I considered doing this about five years ago but chickened out.

How do I go about doing this?

Do you think I'm out of line for asking? They know that I've (long ago) restructured the whole system from a collection/profit increase standpoint. They give me props, for sure. But how do I approach this? Is this at all unprofessional to ask for? I've been biting my tongue for over half a friggin decade.

My yearly is coming up in September. Should I drop the bomb then, if I decide to stay? I don't even know what I'm thinking....I've really been considering leaving, so it's not like it may even matter anyway. Just tell me from a professional standpoint what you guys think.

Originally posted by tiki

Just tell me from a professional standpoint what you guys think.

Before you ask you need to come up with justification and reasons why he should give you the $$$. Sit down and think what you have done for his practice in quantitative terms. Like "yes, I raised your annual profit at such and such percentage since five yrs ago" blah blah blha. Make a presentation on paper (or in your head) and be ready to tell him why you deserve this. And tell him also that it would help to keep you around (in an indirect way say this but don't say you'll quit if he does not give it).

Be prepared with FACTS and FIGURES. That is your best chance TIKI.

good luck

alphs

• Author

I just don't want to seem like a greedy witch. I feel like our receptionist should get a small percentage too, just on the copays alone that she collects. It costs us around $7.00 in administrative time, stamps, printer crap and envelope to send one statement for a copayment.

I just did month end, quarter end and monthly average since 1998. I'm tellin ya, we - are - smokin. But anyway, I stuff it into the little envelope and deliver it to the doc and the BM (his wife) once a month (the month-end crap, anyway). So she'll have it right there under her nose.

Should I wait until September to approach it (if I last that long here)?

I just don't want to come off as ungrateful or sleazy. :o

Tell him to hand over the cash or you'll report his unclean practices to the board of health.

:laugh:

Originally posted by tiki

I just don't want to seem like a greedy witch.

I just don't want to come off as ungrateful or sleazy. :o

Its just business TIKI... everyone has to eat and if your doing a great job then you deserve a cut. Look at it as a win-win situation. If the a$$clown DR say yes then u are in the money. If he says no then when you leave you job he will think it was cause he did not give you the ca$h. :)

• Author
Originally posted by moimeme

Tell him to hand over the cash or you'll report his unclean practices to the board of health.

:laugh:

:laugh::confused:

Originally posted by alphamale

Its just business TIKI... everyone has to eat and if your doing a great job then you deserve a cut. Look at it as a win-win situation. If the a$$clown DR say yes then u are in the money. If he says no then when you leave you job he will think it was cause he did not give you the ca$h. :)

:lmao:

Now you're talkin!