Ethics hotline issue

So I'm a dept manager at a store. About 6 months ago I found out one of my employees comes into work a hour early at 2am and isn't scheduled until 3am. So she basically works a hour off the clock to make sure things are ready. I got this information from another employee who snitched her out because another dept employee told them. I looked into the cameras to see if was true because I have access and found out is true.

This employee has no idea anybody knows beside the 4 people in my dept know. I kept it to myself until a couple of weeks ago. Me and this employee don't get along because she talks a lot of trash about me and some of my other employees and wants my job. So a couple of weeks ago I overheard her trashing me to someone at work and got pissed. I called the employee ethics hotline on her anonymously for working off the clock and told them she does that a lot on certain employees vacation.

I basically called them to snitch her out because I was angry w with her. I would of told my boss but me and him don't get along and he's really shady on covering people's stuff up and also spreads **** about a lot of things so I don't trust him. Our store is really toxic because of them and them showing favoritism and looking the other way on things. So the loss prevention came in and did an investigation and couldn't find that she worked off the clock. He only went back 2 weeks to verify this.

This leaked out in my store which I shouldn't even know. Everyone in the store knows someone worked off the clock but the name didn't leak out because they didn't tell anyone. I was kinda shocked they didnt come to me about it. I was kinda shocked they didn't bust her working off the clock then I realized i didn't give them the dates because I wanted my identity secret. So they never approached the employee. I called the hotline and they said the case was closed. So basically they didn't bust her because I didn't give them the dates because I wanted my identity secret. So the past 2 weeks my bosses have been rude and giving me the cold shoulder .

So I think they think I was the anonymous called because they haven't been giving me information that relates to my dept in a time fashion and seem annoyed whenever I talk to them. The thing is i know they can't prove I made the call since its a anonymous hotline and I never gave the caller my info. I know I shouldn't of handled this situation this way but it was the only way. It's been two weeks since all this happened. Don't know what I should do because now my bosses probably don't trust me.

The thing is I was right about her so that really pisses me off. It would be suicide for me to tell my boss I did it because then it would confirm everything and I know they if they do anything it would be retaliation.

So should I just leave the issue alone?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

just walk away, unless you want to professionally hang yourself and/or be outed. And really, the only reason you called in on the hotline was because you were angry her. I think that says a lot more about you than it does about her, and in this case, you can add yourself to the pool of toxicity. Maybe it's time to change jobs.

just my 2 cents ...

• Like 2

Since when is it a bad thing to work an hour off the clock? If she feels she needs the time to be ready, so what?

Was it worth ratting her out?

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks I need to rethink my options working there. I never do stuff out of anger before and I added to the environment that I try to stay away from.