Dire Circumstances at Work

newlywedder

Hi! I'm glad the forum is back up and I've missed everyone. I have a dilemma that I hope you can help with.

I been at my job for a year and a half now as a contractor. Six months ago, I was going to be hired on but a hiring freeze was announced the next week by the new VP. Therefore, I was not able to be hired on and got really pissed off.

I been working so hard at this job, trying to impress everyone so feel I deserved to of gotten hired. I am the longest employed contractor here now as the others got hired before the freeze.

The job is great otherwise with plenty of flexibility. I can work from home Mondays and Fridays if I wish and get to leave early to pick up my son. The people are really nice here too and I'm friends with them. I don't want to leave but I feel cheated and unmotivated now.

The new VP has a big power trip it seems. He is laying off people left and right and not granting any raises or bonuses to existing employees. The environment feels toxic as a result and I don't know when this VP will wake up on the wrong side of the bed one day.

I'm the primary breadwinner so have to keep working regardless. What should I do? Look for another opportunity or stay here until my contract is up in 5 months?

You have a contract. Read it VERY carefully before you make decisions. It may contain penalties -- meaning you have to pay them -- if you try to leave before it is up. You should absolutely be looking for another position to start as soon as the contract is up.

As a contract employee you don't know anything about the company's financials. They may be in more dire straights then you understand. I doubt it is personal between this new VP & you. Business decisions are made for business reasons not personal ones.

• Like 1
RecentChange

I would certainly be looking for new opportunities. Sounds like in 5 months you may be forced to take one anyway.

As for the new VP, are you sure the layoffs and freezes are really due to a "power trip" and not a dire financial situation?

You are in tech right? Do you know the current financials of your company?

To me it sounds like there is a restructuring going on, and employee costs are being reduced. Yes that often doesn't make for a "happy" environment, but is often an uncomfortable period companies must go through. Toxic usually means a situation where you have some sort of abusive going on, bullying, belittling, etc. This sounds like budget constraint.

So, maybe they will get some big new angle investor and start spending money like no tomorrow - or maybe the tightened belt will be status quo for quite some time.

• Author
newlywedder

It is a Fortune 500 company but has been stagnant in the market these past few years. 2018 is supposed to be a good year for the company as market analysis sites are predicting. The stock has not risen as high as the predictions yet, however.

I only met the VP once and I doubt he knows of me or remembers me. It wouldn't be personal, but financial if I am let go. Still, everyone I have talked to hates him and feels he is creating an unpleasant work environment.

Yesterday, I had an interview with a job that pays $3 more hourly and is contract to hire. I could not recall an answer to a technical question but feel I did great otherwise. I had lots of good answers to other questions asked. I remembered the answer to the technical question after I left so kicked myself. I'm used to seeing code written, not hearing it spoken so it threw me off.

I'll just keep doing my job here for the time being. I might be happy for a break if this contract ends suddenly. I been working contract nonstop for 2 years now with no vacation time.