Boss says second job affecting performance and hints I should quit it. F U!

IhavenoFREAKINclue

I recently started a waitressing job at night. Now for anyone who has ever waitressed.....it wipes you out...

So yesterday I worked from 6pm til about 1am. When i came into my full time job this mornin, I was tired. My boss asked to see me in is office today. He sat me down and said that my night job was affecting my performance here. I am passive when it comes to bosses and authority...but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Well pay me more a**hole and I won't need a second job!"

I need this job tho. The money is great and I'm finally making ends meet. But I do see myself coming in more sluggish than normal in the morning. Is my boss being selfish? I feel he has a right to be concerned but to tell me that its affecting my job...hinting that I should quit.....is wrong. Bottom line, I need a second job to make ends meet. Nothing I can do about that.

P.S. I doubt he will give me a raise also....he gave me a signifigant one 2 years ago and in his mind...that should be good for about 5 years until i get another......always tryna save a buck.

FolderWife

Your boss is being selfish. Unfortunately, he has to look out for the company's best interests...not yours. He's letting you know that your performance isn't what he expects from your position, and that he may have to fire you over it :(

Some bosses look out for their employees. Some look out for the company. He's looking out for the company.

say, 'you know what, i am a little tired, but i can't afford to quit.'

maybe he'll take a hint.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40
Originally posted by IhavenoFREAKINclue

What if he gives me an ultimatum?

He can't do that. How would he know anyway? What you do after hours is none of his (insert profanity here) business. At least you are working and not partying until 1am!

Do you agree that your performance has decreased since you took the second job? Can you reduce your hours at the second job? If your boss finds out or must know that you are working nights, maybe you could reach an agreement that you can reduce your night hours, and he can give you a raise (haha u can always try).

Or ask him for other options for yourself if you absolutely have to quit the night job in order to keep the day job. Would your employer pay for you to take some evening courses to upgrade your skills in order to earn an increase in pay at your current job or a promotion?

no, your boss is not outta line. he is paying you (albeit not enuf!) to be awake and ready to go for the entire day. this is std operating procedure for a boss and he is within his rights to say this but not within his rights to demand you quit 2nd job. see....he can always fire you if your performance falls below his expectations consistently.

this is a great time to negotiate a pay raise. tell him honestly that u need money from 2nd job and that if he expects you to quit 2nd job you will need some type of raise. it is just business, don't take it personal, we all have to eat and pay rent.

the other thing u can do is adjust schedule at 2nd job so it does not interfere as much with primary job.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue

I have noticed a little slack on my work. but by 10 and after 3 cups of coffee...I'm good to go. Bottom line is I need this job to get by.

I bet if I ask for a raise...the way my boss thinks, He's think that I got a second job to justify a raise....So if I don't quit my second job, even tho my boss passively hinted that I'll lose this one of I don't either get used to the long ours or quit....and he fores me, do I have myself a problem?

I bet if I ask for a raise...the way my boss thinks, He's think that I got a second job to justify a raise....

which job is more impt to you IHNFC?? Most likely your day job, right. Ask the fokker for a raise. You win no matter what he says.....if he says yes then u get your raise and quit 2nd job. If he says no then he cannot complain that you kept 2nd job cause u needed the money. It is a win/win scenario for you.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I have noticed a little slack on my work. but by 10 and after 3 cups of coffee...I'm good to go.

Holy crap this is me everyday! :laugh:

Bottom line is I need this job to get by.

I bet if I ask for a raise...the way my boss thinks, He's think that I got a second job to justify a raise....So if I don't quit my second job, even tho my boss passively hinted that I'll lose this one of I don't either get used to the long ours or quit....and he fores me, do I have myself a problem?

Why would he think you got a second job to justify a raise? If you did get a raise, that might get you another 50-100 bucks a paycheque, right? So a second job would give you at least $500 (I'm jsut throwing out numbers without a basis of any kind but the comparison is there.)

It all depends on how much extra cash you need to get by. Can you re-budget? Can your boss help you with this? I would try and come to a mutual agreement with your boss on ways you can improve performance, and have him promise you a review in a few months' time. In the meantime, reduce your hours in the second job or find a higher paying job elsewhere.

swirlingdaisy1

Your boss has every right in the world to speak to you about your performance if he feels it's declining - afterall, he's not there to be your pal, he's there to ensure employees are pulling their weight, not dragging their ass around.

Naturally he can't force you to quit your other job - but now that you know he has concerns, if you continue to drag your ass as a result of activities outside of work (which includes your second job)..and your performance doesn't pick up, he's well within his right to let you go.

Why don't you sit down with him, be assertive and tell him that you took the 2nd job because you're not able to make ends meet on the original job........and you don't know of any other solution, is there anything he could suggest? Mention you received a raise 2 yrs ago and you appreciated it greatly but it's still not enough to survive.....would he consider another one? See what he says. You never know unless you ask. Bosses can't read minds. He might have no idea why you even took the 2nd job (that it's for dire financial reasons).

swirlingdaisy1
Originally posted by alphamale

which job is more impt to you IHNFC?? Most likely your day job, right. Ask the fokker for a raise. You win no matter what he says.....if he says yes then u get your raise and quit 2nd job. If he says no then he cannot complain that you kept 2nd job cause u needed the money. It is a win/win scenario for you.

Although in the second scenario you posed, he wouldn't be able to complain about her keeping the 2nd job, he still can take issue with her declining performance and fire her based on that alone....so it isn't a win-win situation in that regard. Truth of the matter is that it's not an employer's responsibility to ensure their employee is able to meet all of their financial obligations in life............that is for the employee to figure out, and if the job isn't cutting it, then they have the choice to find something that does, go back to school, etc.