What career should I do?

cheerloverxo

I majored in Dietary Management at a community college and I completed all my courses last year. I took the test to become a Certified Dietary Manager a few weeks ago and I didn't pass. I just have my certificate in Dietary Management but not my credentials. I'm not going to retake the test because you had to get 95 questions right and it was too difficult for me to get that many questions right no matter how much I studied. I also think that I chose the wrong major. I didn't like my major that much. I chose Dietary Management back when I was in high school and now that I'm older, I realized that it isn't the right major for me. My passion is the cosmetology field. Should I pursue my career in cosmetology or should I find a full time job with just a Dietary Management Certificate without credentials?

Find a job any job so you have an income & pursue your passion on the side until you have the credentials to do what you love.

Pursue a career in cosmetology, don't spend too much time thinking about it and get right into it. Lots of people waste a lot of time "thinking" and "waiting" when they could have used their time more efficiently.

Were you unaware that you needed to take the test to get your credentials when you chose dietary management? Are you sure you can't get a 95 if you study hard for it? It seems like a waste to give up so easily. You could at minimum use it for the short term to make some money while you also attend cosmetology school.

If cosmetology is what you want to do and you can afford it, go for that. However, I think there are also credentialing/licensing requirements for cosmetology, so you might explore those requirements before you commit to make sure you think you can pass.

If you need the income get a job now and pursue your passion on the side. If money isn't an issue, think long and hard and do the research to make sure it's what you want to do.

Are you sure you're not just discouraged and are giving up because you didn't pass your exam? Lots of medical professionals and lawyers fail their exams each year, re-study, eventually pass and no clients or patients ever know the difference. Don't give up on the first try if you need the income.

ChanSummary

You could try and get a job with your certificate. You'll never know if you'll learn to love it until you try. When you do and you realize it wasn't for you after all, you should go where your heart desires.