Ask Americans a [job interview] question...

I know this is not the right forum, but because this has the highest traffic and I want a quick answer ASAP. please move to another forum a couple hours later? sorry!

My question is:

Is it normal for a job recruiter to ask for your passport or driver license or any official document? I mean this is even before an interview. it is just on the submission to the hiring client stage. Most seem to be Indian IT companies. I am wondering if they are using me as evidence for H1B visa for Indian? (I am a Canadian, so I don't need H1B, I just need a professional job offer to work in the USA)

I've only seen the request during the hiring process, or request to bring it in during the interview if hired, but to send to them before the interview might be a red flag, unless things have changed.

• Author
I've only seen the request during the hiring process, or request to bring it in during the interview if hired, but to send to them before the interview might be a red flag, unless things have changed.

exactly. or is it because I am Canadian, but not an American? but come on, what's the point?

• Author
Yes it is quite common to prove identity.

So it is actually safe to just email them a copy of my scanned passport?

but what is the point? why would I lie about my identity? if I am not who I am, they are not going to hire me during the hiring stage. I waste my time too, not just theirs. why anybody want to waste one's time...better just watch TV.

I know this is not the right forum, but because this has the highest traffic and I want a quick answer ASAP. please move to another forum a couple hours later? sorry!

My question is:

Is it normal for a job recruiter to ask for your passport or driver license or any official document?

Yes, proving your identity is common. I've never used a job recruiter, though, so I can't speak to how early in the process is normal. Are they trying to find out if you are authorized to work in the USA?

I mean this is even before an interview. it is just on the submission to the hiring client stage. Most seem to be Indian IT companies. I am wondering if they are using me as evidence for H1B visa for Indian? (I am a Canadian, so I don't need H1B, I just need a professional job offer to work in the USA)

What do you mean "using you as evidence for H1B visa for Indian"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you will need some kind of visa to work in the USA, whether it's an H1B or a TN or something else. You need a job offer in the USA plus an employer who is willing to sponsor your visa.

• Like 1
  • Author
What do you mean "using you as evidence for H1B visa for Indian"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you will need some kind of visa to work in the USA, whether it's an H1B or a TN or something else. You need a job offer in the USA plus an employer who is willing to sponsor your visa.

um...as a Canadian we don't need a visa. just a TN status which can be apply on the border. It's a yes and no decision on the spot.

In Canada, if you want to bring a foreign worker, you need to show you can't find a local. so I am thinking for H1B, maybe it is the same thing? they use me to show they tried and can't find anybody else in north amerian? just wondering...

um...as a Canadian we don't need a visa. just a TN status which can be apply on the border. It's a yes and no decision on the spot.

Yes, you can apply for the TN at the border, but there are all kinds of requirements and restrictions to get TN status. If you don't qualify for the TN, you need a work visa, such as an H1B.

In Canada, if you want to bring a foreign worker, you need to show you can't find a local. so I am thinking for H1B, maybe it is the same thing? they use me to show they tried and can't find anybody else in north amerian? just wondering...

This doesn't even make sense. The H1B is for USA. A Canadian worker is a foreign worker in the USA.

• Like 1

I have no idea about immigration policies but in the US they usually ask if you have the right to work or if you need some sort of sponsorship. If you are able to work, you need to supply evidence (per form I-9) on the first day of work. I've never been asked for it prior. I haven't needed to sponsor employees who don't have a green card or citizenship so I have no idea about the TN or H1B process.

• Like 1

You need a work visa. Traveling on leisure doesn't require a visa but for work purpose you need one. You cannot apply for a work visa on your own without a job offer. You must first have a job offer from a U.S. employer who will sponsor you for a work visa.

I have the document. Let me check and post the details later.

## #######

Copied from document : -

In most circumstances, Canadian citizens do not require visitor, business, transit or other visas to enter the United States, either from Canada or from other countries. There are, however, some exceptions to this situation. These exceptions (and the visa category they require) include:

Treaty traders and investors (requires E Visa);

Foreign citizen fiancé(e) (K-1 Visa), as well as the fiancé(e)’s children (K-2 Visa);

A U.S. citizen’s foreign citizen spouse traveling to reside in the U.S. while awaiting final completion of the process of immigration (K-3 Visa), as well as the spouse’s children (K-4 Visa);

Spouses of lawful permanent residents (V-1 Visas), as well as the spouse’s children who are traveling to reside in the U.S. while awaiting final completion of the process of immigration (V-2 Visas);

Non-immigrants travelling to the United States for work (Non-Immigrant Visas), including:

Canadian government officials (A Visas), if entering the U.S. for temporary or permanent assignment;

Officials and employees of international organizations (G Visas), if entering the U.S. for temporary or permanent assignment; and

NATO officials, representatives, and employees, only if they are being assigned to the U.S. (as opposed to an official trip).

Furthermore, Canadians who have been removed from the United States or who have a criminal record, including for driving under the influence, will need to follow a separate set of procedures to enter the country.

Edited by Mind-Chants
To add the document