Clashing personalities

I have a friend who cannot stand a co-worker. (I'm not there, so I don't really know what this co-worker is like.) I'm on the receiving end of listening to how this co-worker is arrogant, does stupid things, expects others to do her work, goes into hysterics, etc., etc.

If you had to work with someone that you simply detest, how would you handle it (short of leaving)? Would you say (or write) something like, "Listen, we are never going to get along so let's keep our interactions to a bare minimum," or what?

I've never been in a situation like this where I couldn't take myself out of the situation. I've run out of things to say to my friend, short of, "Slap the b!tch." LOL

LOL my mother is going through the same thing but her co-worker is a real Biotch!

I've run out of things to tell my mother as well...curious to see other posts....

If she's that miserable, then she should leave. There are a bazillion jobs out there and other people that don't act this way (or treat her this way) at a company! There may be better opportunities that await you!!! :)

I've only worked with a couple of 'bad seeds'.

The first one, I left my old job for. Found my new job and VIOLA!! Found my niche. Been here for I think 6 years.

The second one was here. She worked here when I started. She was a bitch. Total, raging crazy woman. I turned in my notice (I had only been here for 6 months). They asked why and I told them I couldn't work with her. THEY FIRED HER.

"Listen, we are never going to get along so let's keep our interactions to a bare minimum," or what?

^ I love this!

Besides complain, if she does leave, make sure she gives an honest excuse! Ya never know, it may help. And she may not be the only person thinking this way!

I tend to avoid those people - I'll go to their other coworkers to get stuff done. Sometimes I don't let them get away with stuff - if they are arrogant, I call them on it "I know you are too good to do this but it needs to be done". I often invoke our superiors "Mr Big Boss asked me to ask you to get this done". Or "Mr Big Boss told me you were the best person to go to to get this done, should I go back to him? was he wrong?"

Sometimes I suck up and appeal to their vanity and sometimes I portray something as higher profile than it really is so they'll want to work on it. Sometimes you just have to sell it.

What I hate the most is people who play dumb "I didn't know that was how it was supposed to be done" - those are the ones I want to kick down the stairs.

I try to be everyone's friend - you may look at it as manipulation but often it's not only what you know or who you know but who owes ya...

Thank you for your input.

Apparently, this co-worker will have a project and they will work on it, and suddenly she changes things and they have to go back over the information. Although I don't know EXACTLY what they are working on, it seems to me that maybe a checklist of the needed info could be made, then if all the info isn't there, the project should get put on hold. Or fill in only the info that is not likely to change. I guess I need to find out if this is a project that happens frequently or if each one is different.

Since the co-worker also leaves (some days) around 3:30, maybe they could gather the info at the beginning of the day and work separately the rest of the day (and stay out of each other's hair).

If you have any more thoughts, don't be shy . . .

Thanks again,

LH