ballet teacher/accompanist date

So, I'm a piano and drum accompanist for a dance school in northeast Ohio.

This is my first year there, but I've really only had on instructor that I play for and she's really cute, but pretty quiet as well. She's seemed a little flirty in the past, but also quick to go off and do her own thing, so it's hard to tell if she's interested.

Things go fine in the class as I'm able to play what she needs, and she's able to communicate what she needs pretty well. Doesn't feel like a "professional" relationship so much as just a relaxed team of instructor and accompanist.

I've been going back and forth as to whether or not I should ask if she wants to walk down the road for coffee sometime after class, as I am definitely interested. Neither of us have "talk" talked very much, but I think that's because we're both shy people. I don't want to creep her out though, I always clam up and stutter, all the typical nervous stuff that happens.

Any thoughts on this situation? Maybe I'm an idiot for asking given we work together, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to just see if she wants to go on a little date or two.

Edited by djkong

If you are both adults, single and not violating any policy , then start with a gentle suggestion of coffee or a walk.

I usually assume that the person of interest has a life away from a mutual project and treat them as a friend. I try not to cross lines ... Sorta makes for a new definition of awkward when introduced to the significant other.