I just need to vent. I'm a federal contractor and am currently assigned to an agency where no one knows what's going on and my immediate supervisor is the world's biggest dick.

He's a good 30 years older than me (I'm 22) and makes comments about how I'm too skinny and he doesn't know how models and actresses with my body type are considered attractive. He thinks he's being funny, but it pisses me off.

He gossips about other employees behind their backs and insults them personally in areas of their lives that have nothing to do with work. One of the women is Indian and he goes around telling people that she's not in control at work or at home and can't speak English, when her English is perfectly fine, just accented, and she does way more work than he does.

He just sits in his office all day and yacks away about how good he is at his job and how other people don't know what they're doing and how he's so smart and knows how to deal with people, while in reality he has no idea what's going on with anything.

Because I'm a contractor, my main job is just to do my job well, be pleasant and charismatic and make my company look good with this agency so they can potentially get more contracts. It's not my place to say anything so I just have to bite my tongue.

Fortunately I may have another job opportunity coming up, but it's not definite yet and just...ughhh :p. Losing my mind here.

Any comments about your appearance could be considered gender discrimination. I'd firmly telling him to stop making such comments. Then I'd do everything to accelerate when you can get out of there.

• Like 3

I am very sorry. It's shocking that in this day and age people still considering it to be appropriate to comment on someone's appearance at work in a negative way. I went through the 'too skinny' comment when I was really young so I know how that feels.

I think he thinks you are that body shape on purpose

• Author

Thanks guys. Fortunately I have more than enough confidence in my body so his stupid comments just piss me off rather than gutting my self esteem, but his rudeness is astounding.

I really do hope I get this other job I interviewed for. It went really well so I think I have a fairly good shot.

• Like 2

I find that older people tend to be ruder, especially to young ones. I think some feel they should be respected no matter what and can say what they like. It's pretty annoying.

Mind-Chants
I find that older people tend to be ruder, especially to young ones. I think some feel they should be respected no matter what and can say what they like. It's pretty annoying.

professional context: In today's knowledge economy, knowledge is power. People with power definitely expect some kind of respect. It's more because of the knowledge/skill gap and experience behind them that builds some kind of passive arrogance. Again not everyone is like that. I have worked under people almost double my age but still very respectful and open to my views on business matters.

In terms of social context I feel they grew up in times and places where respect for old people was a given. When they were young, they respected their elders. Now that they are old, they have found themselves in a culture which has changed a lot. Some change with time and some don't. People who still cherish those days feel disrespected in today's culture and end up making unreasonable demands. There is a good chance, I may be wrong in this context.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm all for respecting ones elders and am a pretty conservative old soul type of lady in a lot of ways. I do treat this guy, and everyone else in the office with respect and I don't talk back to him. It just sucks having to take those comments and makes me really grumpy.

Thanks guys. Fortunately I have more than enough confidence in my body so his stupid comments just piss me off rather than gutting my self esteem, but his rudeness is astounding.

I really do hope I get this other job I interviewed for. It went really well so I think I have a fairly good shot.

When I was young (19ish) and new in my job I was harassed about my appearance by a pathologist (50ish) at work. I immediately told him that there were lots of things that would like to say back to him after that remark, but my parents had taught me to respect the elderly, so I'm holding my tongue.:lmao:

Never had another issue with him.

truth_seeker
I just need to vent. I'm a federal contractor and am currently assigned to an agency where no one knows what's going on and my immediate supervisor is the world's biggest dick.

He's a good 30 years older than me (I'm 22) and makes comments about how I'm too skinny and he doesn't know how models and actresses with my body type are considered attractive. He thinks he's being funny, but it pisses me off.

He gossips about other employees behind their backs and insults them personally in areas of their lives that have nothing to do with work. One of the women is Indian and he goes around telling people that she's not in control at work or at home and can't speak English, when her English is perfectly fine, just accented, and she does way more work than he does.

He just sits in his office all day and yacks away about how good he is at his job and how other people don't know what they're doing and how he's so smart and knows how to deal with people, while in reality he has no idea what's going on with anything.

Because I'm a contractor, my main job is just to do my job well, be pleasant and charismatic and make my company look good with this agency so they can potentially get more contracts. It's not my place to say anything so I just have to bite my tongue.

Fortunately I may have another job opportunity coming up, but it's not definite yet and just...ughhh :p. Losing my mind here.

Secretly video tape him during one of his tirades... then post it anonymously on the internet. Then send an anonymous email to your superiors linking them to the video. He'll get canned fast.

• Author
Secretly video tape him during one of his tirades... then post it anonymously on the internet. Then send an anonymous email to your superiors linking them to the video. He'll get canned fast.

Well, not so sure. It is the government, and they never fire anyone for anything short of murder.