Living in NYC and struggling to figure out my future

Hi everyone,

So I am 25 will be 26 in a month and I am currently working for a very successful company. Im not sad or anything working here but this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have been very successful at my job and my career but I want to do something im passionate about.

Anyways, I live in NYC and I love this whole corporate business world. Nothing like NYC. By now, I thought I would have my whole life figured out and it turns out that I DON'T at all. I still live at home with my parents and sister, I just got dumped by the person who I thought I'd share a future with, I am simply a hot mess.

After this breakup, I realized that I need to focus on my career rather than focusing on getting married by 30 and my so on timeline. Because NOTHING is happening according to plan.

I am applying to graduate school to start next fall to get an MPA. Here is the issue, what I really want to do is work on television as a news anchor or doing media entertainment. My job will pay for an MPA but they will not pay for a masters in media and communications. I am already in high debt from undergraduate and honestly getting into all this other debt is stressing me out. I attended a prestigious university and yes basically im paying all my debt now.

I wish I knew someone in the media and communications industry so that I can at least get a job within that field and get my foot in the door but it's so hard. Ive looked at media internships but all of them require full summers or being enrolled in school and I can't just get up and leave my job as I have bills and student loans to pay and Im not in school. I also feel like im getting old and this was NOT the plan. This is very frustrating.

So my question is should I go for an MPA just to have a Master's and move up at my current company or should I go for journalism and get myself in a lot more debt?.

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Only you can decide which path to take on this one. You're smart enough to know the advantages and disadvantages of each decision. Of course the problem is that no one can predict which path will ultimately end in success and happiness, every decision requires risk.

Putting this question to us is like asking, should I go to law school for free or medical school, but being a doctor is my passion? Two very different paths.

• Like 1

Sit down & set up some

S specific

M measureable

A attainable

R realistic

T timely

goals for yourself.

Figure out whether the MPA or trying to break into TV is what you want & how realistic each is.

If you want to get married by 30, what are you doing to meet people? You have to take action.

• Like 2
  • Author
Sit down & set up some

S specific

M measureable

A attainable

R realistic

T timely

goals for yourself.

Figure out whether the MPA or trying to break into TV is what you want & how realistic each is.

If you want to get married by 30, what are you doing to meet people? You have to take action.

Thanks I think this is a good way to do it.

TheFinalWord
Hi everyone,

So I am 25 will be 26 in a month and I am currently working for a very successful company. Im not sad or anything working here but this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have been very successful at my job and my career but I want to do something im passionate about.

Anyways, I live in NYC and I love this whole corporate business world. Nothing like NYC. By now, I thought I would have my whole life figured out and it turns out that I DON'T at all. I still live at home with my parents and sister, I just got dumped by the person who I thought I'd share a future with, I am simply a hot mess.

After this breakup, I realized that I need to focus on my career rather than focusing on getting married by 30 and my so on timeline. Because NOTHING is happening according to plan.

I am applying to graduate school to start next fall to get an MPA. Here is the issue, what I really want to do is work on television as a news anchor or doing media entertainment. My job will pay for an MPA but they will not pay for a masters in media and communications. I am already in high debt from undergraduate and honestly getting into all this other debt is stressing me out. I attended a prestigious university and yes basically im paying all my debt now.

I wish I knew someone in the media and communications industry so that I can at least get a job within that field and get my foot in the door but it's so hard. Ive looked at media internships but all of them require full summers or being enrolled in school and I can't just get up and leave my job as I have bills and student loans to pay and Im not in school. I also feel like im getting old and this was NOT the plan. This is very frustrating.

So my question is should I go for an MPA just to have a Master's and move up at my current company or should I go for journalism and get myself in a lot more debt?.

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

I dont recommend getting a masters degree in a field you dont see yourself in for the long haul.

With the level of debt you are in I also dont recommend going further in debt. You are only 25 and you have a good job; 25 is not even close to being old. Recommend to at least stay with this job until you pay of your loans and get your own place.

In the meantime see if you can network and get to know people in the industry you are interested in. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
I dont recommend getting a masters degree in a field you dont see yourself in for the long haul.

With the level of debt you are in I also dont recommend going further in debt. You are only 25 and you have a good job; 25 is not even close to being old. Recommend to at least stay with this job until you pay of your loans and get your own place.

In the meantime see if you can network and get to know people in the industry you are interested in. Good luck!

THank you.

ALOT of thinking ahead

I'd recommend no new debt. You don't mention how much debt but I'm guessing $50K+ plus if you went to a high-end school? You don't want to be 30 years old with a mountain of student loan debt, living parents, etc. To me, the fastest way out of that situation is to work work work for the next few years and attack that debt as hard as you can. Only then can you really start planning for the future.

Take it from a professional who attended a "top" school but who also took out big debt (stupidly) and is still paying on it 10 years later. It's MUCH harder to pay off debt once you're saddled with a mortgage, kids, etc. It's MUCH easier to knock it out when you're single and able to work as many hours as possible, especially since you're living at home.

Then if you get your debts paid off you'll have more career flexibility. Keep in mind that journalism/media is a rapidly changing field..lots of people are getting into it without formal education or training...think of bloggers, Youtubers, twitter folks, etc. Going the "traditional route" in that field may not even make since in a few years (if it even does now).

• Like 1
losangelena

OP, I feel you. I'm 10 years older than you and still feel like I don't have my ish figured out yet—I don't know if that feeling ever fully goes away.

I'm in the middle of a career change. Tired of freelance writing, so am looking at new avenues. I've been signing up with a bunch of temp agencies to try and get some income and to see what's out there.

Just yesterday I was thinking back to the last long-term temp assignment I had, about ten years ago. I was working as an assistant to a very high-earning financial manager who would've offered me a full-time position had I not gone to graduate school. I often wonder how different my life would be now if I'd chosen to stay with him and not go to grad school. My guess is it would be quite a bit different.

That's not to say I fully regret going to graduate school, but when I was your age, I really flew by the seat of my pants, and I'm paying the price for that now.

This is a very long-winded way to say that I don't think you should go to grad school for media studies. In my experience, a grad degree in a creative field, especially when it's not paid for, is a waste of time and money.

What industry do you work in now, by the way?

My advice, take it or leave it, is:

Stay in your current job. Can you put some money aside each month to hire the services of a career counselor? Someone who can help you clarify your goals and focus your priorities? They're much cheaper than grad school.

Also, if you haven't already, get yourself onto an income-based repayment plan with your student loans. Yes, it'll stretch out the amount of time you have them, but it'll make your monthly payments lower so you're not feeling so hemmed in by having to make a certain income.

Finally, don't be so hard on yourself! :) You're 25, that's hardly an age where anyone else would expect you to have things all figured out. This adulting business takes time to learn, and even if you make a decision that you regret later, nothing is irredeemable.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd recommend no new debt. You don't mention how much debt but I'm guessing $50K+ plus if you went to a high-end school? You don't want to be 30 years old with a mountain of student loan debt, living parents, etc. To me, the fastest way out of that situation is to work work work for the next few years and attack that debt as hard as you can. Only then can you really start planning for the future.

Take it from a professional who attended a "top" school but who also took out big debt (stupidly) and is still paying on it 10 years later. It's MUCH harder to pay off debt once you're saddled with a mortgage, kids, etc. It's MUCH easier to knock it out when you're single and able to work as many hours as possible, especially since you're living at home.

Then if you get your debts paid off you'll have more career flexibility. Keep in mind that journalism/media is a rapidly changing field..lots of people are getting into it without formal education or training...think of bloggers, Youtubers, twitter folks, etc. Going the "traditional route" in that field may not even make since in a few years (if it even does now).

Hi MightyPen, yes Is def much more than that and Im looking at these expensive graduate programs. I was looking into Syracuse and the cost is an additional $60K and you know that when paying back that will be probably 75 to 80K so im out here pulling my hairs. LOL.

Ughh sometimes I just feel like it's hard to make it without a graduate degree but that might not be necessarily true. I do blog and stuff so im thinking of doing that and maybe try to get my foot in the door doing an internship somewhere on weekends and take it from there. All this debt is pretty intense. I pay my student loans and feel like the amount remains the same.

I will continue exploring my options because the last thing I want to do is spend alot of money on graduate school and then get a not so good paying job. I struggled to get a job after undergraduate. Well a job that I liked and payed me well.

Thank you for your advice :)

• Like 1
  • Author
OP, I feel you. I'm 10 years older than you and still feel like I don't have my ish figured out yet—I don't know if that feeling ever fully goes away.

I'm in the middle of a career change. Tired of freelance writing, so am looking at new avenues. I've been signing up with a bunch of temp agencies to try and get some income and to see what's out there.

Just yesterday I was thinking back to the last long-term temp assignment I had, about ten years ago. I was working as an assistant to a very high-earning financial manager who would've offered me a full-time position had I not gone to graduate school. I often wonder how different my life would be now if I'd chosen to stay with him and not go to grad school. My guess is it would be quite a bit different.

That's not to say I fully regret going to graduate school, but when I was your age, I really flew by the seat of my pants, and I'm paying the price for that now.

This is a very long-winded way to say that I don't think you should go to grad school for media studies. In my experience, a grad degree in a creative field, especially when it's not paid for, is a waste of time and money.

What industry do you work in now, by the way?

My advice, take it or leave it, is:

Stay in your current job. Can you put some money aside each month to hire the services of a career counselor? Someone who can help you clarify your goals and focus your priorities? They're much cheaper than grad school.

Also, if you haven't already, get yourself onto an income-based repayment plan with your student loans. Yes, it'll stretch out the amount of time you have them, but it'll make your monthly payments lower so you're not feeling so hemmed in by having to make a certain income.

Finally, don't be so hard on yourself! :) You're 25, that's hardly an age where anyone else would expect you to have things all figured out. This adulting business takes time to learn, and even if you make a decision that you regret later, nothing is irredeemable.

Good luck!

Hi losangelena, I currently work for the healthcare industry. Top hospital for cancer worldwide in NYC. It's a great place and room for growth.

I think that your idea for a career counselor might work, sometimes I feel like I don't know WHAT to do. The cost of living in NYC is also super expensive and I intend in staying here. If I get in more debt and then have a family, and all this school debt, how am I going to make it?.

Yes all this adult business is no joke. There's something new everyday.

Thank you so much for your advice. XO.

:)

Hi MightyPen, yes Is def much more than that and Im looking at these expensive graduate programs. I was looking into Syracuse and the cost is an additional $60K and you know that when paying back that will be probably 75 to 80K so im out here pulling my hairs. LOL.

All this debt is pretty intense. I pay my student loans and feel like the amount remains the same.

Just to follow up,

These comments above would have me "doubling down" on the advice I gave. You have "much more" than $50K in debt, and you're making payments that apparently don't really eat into the principal. So that's the definition of "spinning your wheels."

I'd suggest just checking out a quick online payment calculator, plugging in your debt amount and interest rate, and calculating what monthly payments you'd have to make over the course of 3-5 years to pay it ALL off.

I just ran a quick calculation on bankrate.com. Assuming $100,000 in debt and 4% interest, you'd need to make monthly payments of $1841.65 to pay it off in 60 months. Yes it's intimidating, and I'm not sure if the $100K is more or less than what you actually owe, but trust me, you do NOT want to be dragged down by this for the rest of your life.

Pay the price now and work your butt off, don't worry about a social life too much for the next couple of years, and kill this debt. I'm not sure if you're happy living with your parents, but if you're not hating the arrangement, and they're equally not hating it, would you want to break down the debt numbers with them and say, "Hey if you're okay with me staying for another year or two, I could REALLY make tremendous headway on my debts."