Hi,

I have made the decision to leave my position that I have been in for six years. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the remainder of the year to fulfill my contract. I cross the days off in my diary, cross the weeks off...and count the hours and minutes until I leave each day. Its making me miserable at home and all I do is daydream about the day I walk out. Nobody knows I am planning on resigning.

Work became miserable when my boss asked to take a demotion and I was asked to do her job, and despite not wanting to - ended up saying yes (huge mistake). Before the change in positions between us, she was a difficult boss, who felt self conscious from day one of my working there, as I was more (she admitted it) experienced and qualified when I started than she was as the leader. I always covered for her, supported her, helped her with her workload, never said no. I thought she respected me and for a while I thought we were friends.

When I took over, our division flourished, we found more success than we ever did, people were happy - upper management praised the growth we had.

From that point on, she has made things really difficult for me personally and professionally and completely changed in her attitude towards me. The only thing that changed was the fact I had to do her job. She plays a lot of games by excluding me from organised social events with other coworkers and withholds information. She talks behind my back and makes others not want to be around me. She doesn't do things I ask of her and won't respond to requests, until it becomes noticeable by her peers and then puts in a big show of effort. She is the good time girl who wants everyone to like her, yet when she has to work - rolls her eyes, sulks, mocks and garners support of others in complaining when I have to convey messages from management, even though she knows I am just doing the job she used to do. She has managed to make herself look like the easy going, fun coworker and I'm the serious one who always has to pull everything together, deal with everyone's problems and maintain progress.

so - how do I survive the rest of the year? hoping for some suggestions...strategies, books, quotes...ideas - anything!

UpwardForward

It appears to me, that by your saying 'yes', you can now also beef up your resume.

Concentrate on the task at hand, do the jobs - and look forward to a brighter and compensated future at your next employment.

How you survive the grind of working is one way: You make up for it when you're not working by planning an active social life, going out with friends or taking yourself to the zoo. Remember: Work to live, not live to work. While at work, be polite and keep your head down and maybe be extra nice to whoever will need to give you a recommendation when you leave. Search for a job well before you leave, though. Good luck.

• Author
It appears to me, that by your saying 'yes', you can now also beef up your resume.

Concentrate on the task at hand, do the jobs - and look forward to a brighter and compensated future at your next employment.

I am 62 years old. I have no interest in getting another position. This was my last position before I retire.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
I am 62 years old. I have no interest in getting another position. This was my last position before I retire.

Great.

Then enjoy looking like a professional (for the duration) - while your ex'boss', makes a fool of herself and with her childishness and mocking.