I just dont like working....

It's weird.

I have a good job, and I am very successful and loved by my co-workers and boss.

However, I suffer from imposter syndrome, stress out because of fear I will not maintain successfull, and I generally do not like going there every day, day in day out.

From the outside, it looks like I have it made, but from the inside, I wish I could do something else, something less commercial and sales targeted..

I don't know what though, I have no idea. I am good at what I do...

Anyone else have this? Being good at what you do, but at the same time it's wearing you out because of stress and dislike of the actual job?

• Author

I want to add to this that I am a HSP.

Need a lot of down time by myself to cope with busy schedules.

Maybe this contributes. Working 5 days may be too much for me?

I am very similar. I tend to pick things up quickly and be pretty good at them if I put my mind to it. However, I easily become fatigued by doing the same thing every day.

The only thing that has worked for me has been working as an independent contractor and setting my own schedule. This would be a lot more difficult to do if I did not have my husband, though, as it makes income less predictable.

Just know you are not alone!

• Like 1

yep. it's stagnation when this happens and you normally have to somehow renew your passion for what you're doing and stay, or get passionate about something else, and leave. maybe you just need to move around within the current job - up as a supervisor, lateral to another department, to a new location/branch... that often breaks to boredom cycle that a 'good enough' position can bring. or, start exploring the other things you like and might want to do with more seriousness. look at retraining, taking some courses, etc. before you bail on a decent job.

• Like 1

I experienced it when I didn't like the job I was doing.

I applied for another job in the same company and loved my new job despite the usual stresses.

Maybe sales is just not for you?

The commission might be and if I could do sales maybe I would - but I don't like it. Job happiness is more important to me.

Stress will always be there whatever job you do pretty much though - for me the past few years my 'stress' has come from ending up managing 20 plus people consistently and I'm not a manager! :)

• Like 2
I experienced it when I didn't like the job I was doing.

I applied for another job in the same company and loved my new job despite the usual stresses.

Maybe sales is just not for you?

The commission might be and if I could do sales maybe I would - but I don't like it. Job happiness is more important to me.

Stress will always be there whatever job you do pretty much though - for me the past few years my 'stress' has come from ending up managing 20 plus people consistently and I'm not a manager! :)

i did what you did. applied for a different job in the same company. it renewed my interest and has keep me going and learning.

• Like 1
  • Author

I wish this was an option for me...

The company I work or only has 30 employees in total and we're all doing the same, except for management.

Maybe I should try looking for a job in a larger company, with more possibilities and less focus on individuals....

acrosstheuniverse
I wish this was an option for me...

The company I work or only has 30 employees in total and we're all doing the same, except for management.

Maybe I should try looking for a job in a larger company, with more possibilities and less focus on individuals....

My advice is use your spare time wisely, volunteer and find out exactly what you're passionate about and chase it.

I've been of working age for 12 years and until the last two, have only ever done jobs I hated. Retail, restaurant, sales, finance, just super boring stuff I had no interest in. So I volunteered my arse off in my free time, I volunteered in mental health, with suicide, in a prison rehab, with people who were hooked on drugs in the community. Even with animal shelters.

The only way I got through those long boring days at work was knowing that that evening or the weekend I was gonna be doing a job I was passionate about. Wasn't always easy and I was often working six or seven days per week to fit it all in but three years ago I managed to use all of my voluntary experience to get onto a professional Masters course and I'm now a qualified registered professional working in mental health, earning double my previous salary for fewer hours and most importantly spending every day helping others. The successes are so tangible, going home knowing you helped someone change their life is the biggest high imaginable.

So use your free time to work out your passion, immerse yourself in it and you'll be amazed at the doors it opens.

• Like 4

Confucius said ~ “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

Why fear about not maintaining success. For me Success is a social construct. It's a relative term but society sees it in absolute terms. House car rolex dollars blah blah blah.

Take pride in yourself, what you are doing and what you have achieved. Somewhere I read about - Subjective well being - both physical and mental - are dependent on positive emotions , engagement in life and Meaning in life.

Have some goals in life try to achieve them. Goals can be beyond work. Things you are passionate about. In business language if I compare it with a company, a company having lots of surplus cash is considered as bad because it signifies they are not growing or stagnated. There is always some kind of deficit. Some goes in one'e life, u need to have goals too. You have not given much details but my best guess is you are not sure what next.

Mark Twain said: "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

Also I see, you are in sales. Frankly I don't have much experience in sales but it is a stressful job given there are always quantitative targets. Job satisfaction is critical. Wish you luck.

• Like 1

At some stage I had the same feeling about myself what you are feeling now. I graduated from college at 20, got wonderful job, had two commercialized patents to my name, earning money more than I could manage; I was still not happy and everything felt like compulsion. Beyond work, I had a steady relationship and loving and wonderful family but I still felt something was missing.

Certain things that happen around you change your life. It happened to me. And now I am doing pretty good actually. I have some meaningful engagements too (nothing related to my work). Actually I am not objectifying my achievements at job. That is the responsibility of my senior management. I have my own targets to achieve. Still at the same company but yeah my role has changed significantly. But it is just a job.

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
TrustedthenBusted

I'm totally with you OP. In fact I was thinking about it on my drive to work today. I've been exceedingly fortunate career-wise, finding precisely the role that works for me, and I'm good at it. I've been promoted time and time again over more qualified people, and I believe it's because my personality is better suited for the job than my counterparts.

Money is great, schedule is great, stability is high, and I can work from home whenever I want. Like you said....I got it made.

But the things is, I have NEVER been a career-minded person, and I'm still not. Never been very focused on, or motivated by achievement of any sort.

Basically, I'm workin for the weekends! I spend a good 1/3rd of every workday shopping online for my hobbies, and all my free time enjoying them.

The job is a means to an end....and I like the end.

I wasn't put on this earth to work my ass off I can tell you that. So I don't. I do what I need to do, and then I'm outta here.

Sometimes when the workload is really piling up, and the Ivory Tower tells us how important it is to serve our clients and protect our investors and blah blah blah...I just remind myself of whats really going on. We're all expected to slave away so a handful of multimillionaires can become billionaires. That's it.

And that doesn't motivate me to do anything more than what I agreed to when I took the gig.

Edited by TrustedthenBusted
  • Like 2

What about early retirement? There is a great blog called Mr. Money Mustache if you want to look into it.

The idea isn't so much about sitting around doing nothing. It's about spending a few years in the job you hate to save up enough so you don't have to worry about working and can focus on doing what you're passionate about. Even if you are doing what you want, it's about getting your financial house in order you you have enough FU money you don't have to worry about your job, the politics, working too many hours, etc. It gives you options basically which is what I find comforting.

MMM retired around 30 but there are people with blogs who have done it in 5-10 years.

• Like 1