Resigned due to mental health issues, new job, second thoughts?

Hi all,

So I recently posted here about how my job was ruining my mental health and since then it has only got worse . I'm only 22 and feel like I am wasting time in my life when I should be enjoying myself.

I have found myself a new job, somewhere I have worked previously and I was comfortable and happy there.

My mental health issues have only started during the last year, and I've never really suffered in the past. I know it's down to my job but panic attacks, anxiety and depression are now starting to affect my life massively outside of work.

I handed in my notice beginning of this week, they accepted it and they already knew about my problems. They have said to me instead of handing in my notice they will support me and make adjustments in any way that they need to to make me comfortable and happy again, desk moves, reduced hours. I said no. They then went on to tell me that they feel I am making a bad decision. I currently work for a huge company lots of opportunities to move around and benefits etc and that moving to a small company will not help me because I am just going back into my comfort zone and not actually dealing with the issues that are there. However I feel I need to be comfortable to start to feel better.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or can give me any advise? I'm now beginning to doubt everything, am I making a bad decision?

GunslingerRoland

Are you on medication? Are you seeing a therapist?

Honestly, unless the stress is totally caused by the job, I really don't see how switching is going to fix it. It sounds like an imbalance that you need to deal with and not run away from.

• Author
Are you on medication? Are you seeing a therapist?

Honestly, unless the stress is totally caused by the job, I really don't see how switching is going to fix it. It sounds like an imbalance that you need to deal with and not run away from.

I'm on medication and seeing a therapist. It completely comes from this job, I've never had any problems like this before and it's only started in the last 9 months since I switched departments.

If you hate the type work you do, then by all means switch careers. But under normal working conditions, work should not be the only reason you get all this anxiety. It's possible you weren't taught how to cope with varied situations and just aren't adapting very well. Anyway, you must keep seeing the therapist. If the therapist thinks the only reason is work, I'm sure they'll let you know. But it is unlikely that is the root cause. Good luck.

• Author
If you hate the type work you do, then by all means switch careers. But under normal working conditions, work should not be the only reason you get all this anxiety. It's possible you weren't taught how to cope with varied situations and just aren't adapting very well. Anyway, you must keep seeing the therapist. If the therapist thinks the only reason is work, I'm sure they'll let you know. But it is unlikely that is the root cause. Good luck.

It is by no means normal working conditions, previously I was fine but in this job we are under so much pressure and the management is awful and we get no support, in the last year 13 people out of a department of 40 have left, mostly for the same reasons. I believe I cope well in a lot of different situations, the same as many other people would, but there is a limit, and when you're constantly pushed and pushed, that's when the anxiety kicks in.

I don't know enough about both opportunities to give you a fair opinion but I will say depression can alter your thinking to a non-rational point without you realizing it and make things that are familiar unappealing. Just because they're familiar. You start to associate them with the depression. So even if it's the right or superior choice to stay it still might feel wrong to you.

Again, no idea if that's the case with you based on what info you've given but it's possible. :)

Keep on walking out that door! No job is worth sacrificing your mental health over. Take the new job joyfully and run with it. (And thank the Lord He gave you that option!! Lots of people are stuck!!) Just be nice to everybody on your way out. You never know when you're going to cross paths with these people again in the future - usually under totally different circumstances, but it will still have big payoffs for you if they remember you in a positive light.

My only regret whenever I've left unhappy jobs in the past is, why did it take me so long to leave? Life's a-wasting. Get on with it!

• Like 1