salary requirements vs salary history

Why do some employers ask for salary history instead of salary requirements? Is it because they want to underpay you if they can? For me, the purpose of job hunting is because I'm paid far below market/going rate for my occupation based on education level and experience. I'm not going to accept a position that pays only a couple bucks more per hour due to salary history. So I think requirements makes it easy to set the bar so no one's time is wasted.

GunslingerRoland

I`ve never heard of that. I don`t really think it`s a fair question that employers should be asking.

They should do their own market research to know what the job pays from other companies.

• Like 2

Just tell them a higher number. They're not going to verify it or if they find out it is not accurate just say you thought it included salary + benefits.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks guys. I was just reading a Forbes article on this subject. And their suggestion is to put your target salary number (such as on an online job application) for all previous jobs and make a comment I'm a comment section that your previous employment salaries reflect the salary your are targeting.

I made the mistake once of being honest and only telling them my annual salary during the interview process. I left out the bonus I usually got and I didn't tell them what range I was looking at. They came back with a salary right around where I was.

• Like 1

I thought they can and do verify previous salaries, at least with your last employer or whatever previous job they call for a reference?

GunslingerRoland
I thought they can and do verify previous salaries, at least with your last employer or whatever previous job they call for a reference?

I don't think respectable companies do that. They verify job titles,job duties and job performance as they should. I know I wouldn't answer that if someone doing a reference check asked me those questions.

• Like 2
I don't think respectable companies do that. They verify job titles,job duties and job performance as they should. I know I wouldn't answer that if someone doing a reference check asked me those questions.

Yeah, it would be unusual for a company to ask for it and REALLY unusual for the current company to divulge compensation information.

• Like 2

Yeah, it would be unusual for a company to ask for it and REALLY unusual for the current company to divulge compensation information.

Interesting. I always just assumed they verified it. I have interviewed and worked for several respectable companies, including the one I work for now, and even they asked ME for my salary history. As I said, I just assumed they verified it when they checked references.

Now I'm really curious if it's actually illegal for them to verify it. I am obviously not up on employment laws regarding this...

Popsicle: I am not a lawyer but deal with personnel on occasion. Due to risks of lawsuits, companies are advised to only give verification of employment, dates of employment and position-title. Any performance type questions open you up to lawsuits say if the former employee does not get the new job and blames the old company for bad mouthing.

I have never heard of anyone verifying compensation unless you are filing out a loan application and there's certain privacy rules that must be followed.

• Like 1

I have a government job and my employer can call and ask any questions he wants from my previous employers. I work in the rescue field so anything that has to do with you moral character can affect your hiring. I have known people that have not gotten jobs becouse they cheated on there 10th grade exam. 15 years ago.

Why do some employers ask for salary history instead of salary requirements? Is it because they want to underpay you if they can? For me, the purpose of job hunting is because I'm paid far below market/going rate for my occupation based on education level and experience. I'm not going to accept a position that pays only a couple bucks more per hour due to salary history. So I think requirements makes it easy to set the bar so no one's time is wasted.

You are not obligated to accept any offers or discuss salary history until rest of the interview process is over. You can always state what you are looking for. Rude employers have a tendency to offer 10% standard raise, you dont have to take it :) Also never ever lie to an employer. Integrity of the candidate is the most important thing.

• Like 2