I applied for a job in another country a few months ago. I was invited to apply (which was a good sign in itself). It is a dream job for me, for the best organisation in their field, and I know jobs with them are highly competitive.

The country where it's based has a different native language to English. I studied the language for a year and a half and reached intermediate level however it has been over a year since I practiced or studied it.

The job requirement was that I had intermediate knowledge of this language. Which technically I do, it's what my qualification says. However due to not continuing my studies I am really rusty with it. I was honest about this in my application and said I would pursue an intensive course to get up to speed with it (which I have done).

The issue is my interview is in this language and I am not in a position to do myself justice at all. I can handle basic conversations, but as it's quite a technical position I just don't feel comfortable and don't want to ruin future chances with the organisation by messing it up.

I guess that means Im not eligible for it. But wonder if I can try and get the interview in English and just be completely honest as a last chance? any employers on this board? if the candidate has the capabilities (evidenced by academic transcrips) and is willing but doesnt quite have the requirementss at this moment would they consider it?

Sure just be honest as you'd be found out in 30 seconds anyway. You have nothing to lose, see if they interview you in English. The company I work for does things like this.

• Author

They wouldn't do it unfortunately:(

Ive contacted a tutor anyway and will try and learn more of the language over coming months.

Just a little disappointed as it was great job and I'd been recommended for it, but guess if Im not a fit right now I'm not a fit.