Help buying thank you gift for boss?!

Hey everyone,

I work in a large law firm. I have been working in one section for the past 2 years and as a junior lawyer, have had quite a tough time, adjusting to the hours and everything. One of the more senior lawyers in this section, who is about 5 years older than me, has been an absolute godsend, helping me whenever I need it and drying my tears whenever I've become overwhelmed. She has basically gone above and beyond her duty to help me settle in and develop professionally.

Well I am moving to another section in about a week and really wanted to thank her, although have no idea what a good thank you gift would be. I was going to get her flowers but that seems so boring. I wanted to get something thoughtful but am stuck for ideas. For background, she is 28 and lives with her bf.

Any suggestions out there?

Originally posted by Sycharine

I wanted to get something thoughtful but am stuck for ideas. For background, she is 28 and lives with her bf.

Any suggestions out there?

For a business situation I think the flowers (nice ones, not less than $150) and a heartfelt card stating how much you appreciate her help is all that is warranted. Anything more would be seen as major ass kissing even tho she is your mentor.

curiousnycgirl

It sounds like this is more of a mentoring relationship so a more personal gift is okay. Does she have any outside interests? How about a purse pen from tiffany's - very nice and business appropriate. Depending on what you want to spend, the sky is the limit with pens and you can choose a more feminine one vs. the standard masculine ones. Another idea would be a very nice pin or scarf - one that could be worn to accessorize a suit.

I am sitting here wracking my brains trying to think what my mentees have given me over the years, other than fabulous pens, I am at a loss.

Whatever you choose - I am sure she will love it. I just don't love the idea of flowers since they die - and a reminder that lasts is always preferable.

I agree with Curiousnygirls post. However...

I was going to nix the whole floral idea, but I worked at a really interesting job in my early 20's and I dealt with top echelon people. Once we sent orchid trees (not plants) as congratulatory gifts. This is a low key, lovely, thoughtful gift. Quite pricey. If you do it from a nice florist they put it in a beautiful planter. Just an idea. Way beter than the ordinary.

However, I really don't think cost should be the key here. Sentiment should. If she was a mentor, yes...absolutely you can go above the "professional gift". She meant alot to you...let her know. It will warm her heart. Would mine!

Do you know something about her that is a bit unusual? Does she collect something: first edition books, cook books, legal books? Or is she a foodie? I heard of a book on NPR...it was about fabulous restaurants in different locals.

Just something that shows that she made an impression on you and you HEARD her.

I once gave a mentor an old, expensive scarf...darn I can't remember whose it was...but it was couture.

I've seen her wear it a few times....and we don't even travel in the same circles. So...she must love it.

It makes me insanely happy when I run into her and see she has it stuffed in her bag!

Hope you find something like this to give your mentor. Cornball...but it is the thought that counts.

I think I would like to get her a personal gift, rather than your standard corporate fare. I thought about the engraved pen but even that seemed a little too impersonal.

I just don't know that much about her personal life to be able to get her something really meaningful - such as a cool book or fashion accessory. I don't even know what her favourite drink is!

Can anyone help me out with further suggestions? Even posts on what you have given/been given in the past will be great!

curiousnycgirl

Does she wear scarves? Other accessories? Does she enjoy gadgets or toys (in other words does she have them around her office)? You must have noticed something!

Originally posted by Sycharine

I think I would like to get her a personal gift, rather than your standard corporate fare.

Can anyone help me out with further suggestions? Even posts on what you have given/been given in the past will be great!

How's about a BLACK MAMBO. This is like a 14" vibrating dildo with built in mp3 player. :eek::laugh::p

Can anyone help me out with further suggestions?

do any close friends of hers also work in the building with you? you might ask them what her likes are. Another thing is to see if anyone's done a secret pal project in the office -- usually folks fill out a small q&a sheet with name and likes/dislikes on it so that the giver has an idea of what would be good gifts for that person. OOH! does this woman have an assistant or secretary who might be able to key you in? Or is her office filled with little knick-knacks of things that she likes?

if that doesn't work out before you leave, seriously consider a thoughtful bouquet (doesn't have to be expensive, just "presents" the message that you appreciate her help) and a personal note letting her know what a difference she's made in your time at the firm, and that you appreciate all that she's been to you.